The goal of the course is to teach students about the principles, applications and design of medical instrumentation.
- Basic concepts of medical and clinical instrumentation
- Basic concepts of medical diagnosis and statistical analysis
- Biopotentials, biosensors, and amplifiers
- Action potentials, EMG, EEG, EOG, ECG, and average evoked potentials
- Electrical safety: how and why accidents happen. Injury mechanisms.
- Basic concepts of diagnostic ultrasound, plain x-ray, CT, MRI, PET, and SPECT
- Cardiac rhythm interpretation with relationship to defibrillation and pacing
- Tests used in medical care and research: cardiovascular, imaging, and blood analysis
- Blood flow measurement by ultrasound, laser, and electromagnetic methods
Same as BIOE 414.