- Review of Maxwell's equations and introduction to basic plasma physics
- Introduction to the fusion problems: need and possible reactions
- Plasma models for the fusion problem: 3-fluid model, sheath theory, diffusion
- Energy balances; radiation losses, energy extraction
- Confinement: magnetic bottles, pinch, mirror cusp configurations
- Stability configurations: introduction to micro- and macro-instabilities
- Review of current approaches: concepts such as DCX, Stellerator
Same as NPRE 421 and PHYS 479.