The number of ECE ILLINOIS' faculty members.
|Active Microwave Ckt Design||ECE447||ABA||66378||LAB||0||1300 - 1550||W||5076 ECE Building||Ardy Winoto|
|Active Microwave Ckt Design||ECE447||ABB||66379||LAB||0||1800 - 2050||W||5076 ECE Building||Zijian Li|
|Active Microwave Ckt Design||ECE447||ABC||66380||LAB||0||1800 - 2050||R||5076 ECE Building||Ardy Winoto|
|Active Microwave Ckt Design||ECE447||ABD||66954||LAB||0||0900 - 1150||W||5076 ECE Building||Junyi Qiu|
|Active Microwave Ckt Design||ECE447||ABE||66955||LAB||0||1300 - 1550||R||5076 ECE Building||Zijian Li|
|Active Microwave Ckt Design||ECE447||AL||66377||LEC||3||1600 - 1715||M||4070 ECE Building||Songbin Gong|
Understand the problems and techniques in building a microwave amplifier in planar technology.
This course is an elected course for senior and graduate student electrical and computer engineering majors. The goals are to train the student on important topics in microwave circuit design, fabrication, and measurement that set the foundation for preparing an electrical engineering major to be a high-speed circuit designer.
A. By the time of the Midterm Exam (after 10 lectures and 8 laboratory sessions), the students should be able to do the following:
4. Use 2 and 3 above to design a 50-ohm, single and double stub impedance matching network to provide input and output impedance matching to a low-frequency bias transistor on a printed circuit board. (a, b, c, e)
5. Identify the physical origins of equivalent circuit modeling elements and use physical delay times to calculate current gain cutoff frequency (fT) and power gain cutoff frequency (fMAX) of microwave transistors. (a, b, e)
8. Perform scattering parameter measurements to determine return loss, voltage standing wave ratio (VSWR) and transducer loss, and perform error correction using both SOLT and TRL calibration procedure. (b,c,e,k)
9. Use the analysis of 5 and knowledge of the measurement setups to identify parasitic effects and measurement issues of microwave transistors, and analyze their effect on equivalent circuit elements using measured S-parameters. (a,b,e,k)
11. Perform measurement of characteristic impedance and effective permittivity of quasi-TEM microstrip transmission line, measurement of amplifier board and modeling of board characteristics using Agilent ADS. (a,b,c,d,e,k)
B. By the time of the Final Exam (after 20 lectures and 16 laboratories), the students should be able to do all of the items listed under A, plus the following:
14. Perform [S] parameters measurement and characterization of microwave transistors using network analyzer, understand the stability criteria of transistor amplifiers, connect bias circuit and transistor amplifier. (a,b,c,d,e,k)
16. Perform matching network design, modeling, optimization and fabrication of both single and double stub tuners using Smith chart, verification of amplifier stability using ADS, and measurements of matched amplifier. (a,b,c,d,e,k)