||Feedback control systems emphasizing state space techniques. Basic principles, modeling, analysis, stability, structural properties, optimization, and design to meet specifications. Course Information: Same as ME 540. Prerequisite: ECE 486.
||Credit in ECE 486
|Detailed Description and Outline
- System modeling and analysis: system design as a control problem - constraints, goals and performance specifications, input-output and state space models; linearization; review of linear algebra; fundamentals of state-space analysis of linear systems
- System structural properties: stability; introduction to Lyapunov methods; controllability, observability; canonical forms and minimal realizations.
Modeling uncertainties; system sensitivity and robustness measures.
- Feedback system design: basic properties of feedback; stabilization and eigenvalue placement by state and output feedback; disturbance rejection; observers for estimating states, and observer feedback systems
- Optimum feedback control: dynamic programming and the Hamilton-Jacobi-Bellman equation; synthesis of optimum state regulator systems; numerical methods
- Introduction to the minimum principle: calculus of variations and necessary conditions for optimal trajectories; minimum principle for bounded controls; time-optimal control of linear systems; numerical methods