Menu: Course View Options
Displaying course information from Fall 2011.
||0900 - 0950
|| M W F
||260 Everitt Lab
||Theoretical approach to quantum mechanics and atomic physics, with many applications in spin resonance and modern maser theory. Course Information: Prerequisite: PHYS 485 recommended.
||Microelectronics and Photonics
Kent D Choquette
|Detailed Description and Outline
- Interaction of radiation with atomic systems: density-matrix theory, spontaneous and induced transitions, gain coefficient, quantum theory of Einstein A and B coefficients, homogenous and inhomogenous broadening
- Laser oscillations: general theory, rate equations, threshold, lasing inversion, semiconductor gain
- Specific laser systems: atomic, semiconductor lasers, microcavity lasers
- Coherent interactions of a radiation field and an atomic system: two-level atom with quantized field, electromagnetically induced transparency, lasing without inversion
- Optical Microcavities: Faby-Perot cavity, Purcell effect, vertical cavity lasers, photonic crystal nanocavities
Last updated: 2/13/2013