Romit Roy Choudhury
Ph.D., Computer Science, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 2006
Romit Roy Choudhury is an Associate Professor of ECE and CS at the University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign (UIUC). He joined UIUC from Fall 2013, prior to which he was an Associate Professor at Duke University. Romit's research interests are in wireless protocol design mainly at the PHY/MAC layer, and in mobile computing at the application layer. Along with his students, he received a few research awards, including the NSF CAREER Award, the Google Faculty Award, best paper at Personal Wireless Communications conference, Hoffmann Krippner Award for Engineering Innovations, etc. Visit Romit's Systems Networking Research Group (SyNRG), at http://synrg.csl.illinois.edu
- Assistant Professor, ECE and CS, Duke University, 2006 to 2011.
- Visiting Researcher, Microsoft Research, Redmond, 2010
- Associate Professor, ECE and CS, Duke University, 2011 to 2013
For more information
Other Professional Activities
- Research Group: http://synrg.ee.duke.edu/index.htm
- Homepage: http://web.engr.illinois.edu/~croy/
Romit's research interests are in wireless networking and protocol design mainly at the PHY/MAC layer, and in mobile computing at the application layer.
In wireless networking, our research is focussed on exploiting physical layer (PHY) capabilities towards wireless protocol design, often on the software radio platforms.
In mobile computing, we envision mobile smartphones (and emerging wearable devices) as a convergent platform for sensing, computing, and communications.
Our goal is to integrate these three capabilities thereby enabling new classes of personal and collaborative applications and technologies.
Wireless Networking, Mobile Computing
- Cloud computing
- Computer networking
- Distributed algorithms
- Networking and distributed computing
- Wireless communication systems
Articles in Conference Proceedings
- No Need to War-Drive: Unsupervised Indoor Localization, He Wang, Souvik Sen, Ahmed Elgohary, M. Farid, Moustafa Youssef, Romit Roy Choudhury, ACM MobiSys, June 2012.
- Avoiding the Rush Hours: WiFi Energy Management for Mobile Devices, Justin Manweiler, Romit Roy Choudhury, ACM MobiSys, June 2011.
- No Time to CountDown: Migrating Backoff to the Frequency Domain, Souvik Sen, Romit Roy Choudhury, Srihari Nelakuditi, ACM MobiCom, September 2011.
- CSMA/CN: Carrier Sense Multiple Access with Collision Notification, Souvik Sen, Romit Roy Choudhury, Srihari Nelakuditi, ACM MobiCom, September 2010.
- AccuRate: Constellation Based Rate Estimation in Wireless Networks, Souvik Sen, Naveen Santhapuri, Romit Roy Choudhury, Srihari Nelakuditi, NSDI, April 2010.
- SurroundSense: Mobile Phone Localization Via Ambience Fingerprinting, Martin Azizyan, Ionut Constandache, Romit Roy Choudhury ACM MobiCom, September 2009
- NSF Career Award, 2007
- Hoffmann Krippner Engineering Innovations Award, 2009
- ACM MobiSys Best Demo Award, 2011
- Google Faculty Research Award, 2013