- Bliss Scholar (2004-2007)
Primary Research Area
Ph.D., Electrical Engineering, University of California, Berkeley, Dec. 1992
For more information
My teaching interests are primarily in the areas of compact modeling, reliability physics and circuit design.
Whenever two objects made of dissimilar materials are brought into contact and then separated, there is a net exchange of charge. Thus, in the world around us, different objects may be at different electrostatic potentials, and electrostatic discharge events are a normal and frequent occurrence. Electrostatic discharge (ESD) is a major reliability hazard for integrated circuits; approximately 60% of silicon IC failures are attributed to electrical overstress (EOS) and electrostatic discharge. My research focuses on ESD-aware design of high-performance systems. ESD protection devices generally degrade performance, but high yield and high reliability cannot be achieved without ESD protection. By starting the design process with an awareness of BOTH performance and reliability specifications, an overall acceptable design can be formulated.
Graduate Research Opportunities
Research opportunities exist for students with interests in device physics, circuit design and electromagnetics. Students must have good communication skills and an electrical engineering background.
Undergraduate Research Opportunities
My group builds transmission line pulse testers to deliver high amplitude, short duration current pulses to semiconductor devices. There are almost always opportunities for self-motivated undergraduates to contribute to the design and automation of these measurement systems.
Compact modeling of ESD protection devices; Circuit-simulation of ESD events; Development of ESD test systems; Design of high-speed, self-protecting I/O circuits; Gate dielectric reliability; ESD protection for 3D ICs, Latch-up; Modeling of system-level ESD
- Incomplete List of Teachers Rated as Excellent by Their Students, Fall 2010
- Incomplete List of Teachers Rated as Excellent by Their Students, Spring 2010
- Incomplete List of Teachers Rated as Excellent by Their Students, Spring 2006
- Incomplete List of Teachers Rated as Excellent by Their Students, Spring 2004
- Incomplete List of Teachers Ranked as Excellent by Their Students, Spring 1998.
- Incomplete List of Teachers Ranked as Excellent by Their Students, Spring 1996.
- IEEE Fellow for "contributions to electrostatic discharge reliability of integrated circuits," 2011
- Best Student Paper Award, 2010 EOS/ESD Symp. (Co-author and research supervisor)
- Best Poster Award, 2010 IEEE Int. Reliabillity Physics Symp. (Co-author)
- Best Student Paper Award, 2009 EOS/ESD Symposium. (Co-author and research supervisor)
- Best Student Paper Award, 2008 IEEE International Reliability Physics Symposium (Co-author and research supervisor)
- 2006 IBM Faculty Award
- 2005, Bliss Faculty Scholar Award, UIUC
- Best Student Paper Award, 2003 EOS/ESD Symposium. (Co-author and research supervisor)
- August 2003: First runner up, 2002 Motorola Wireless and Beyond Design Exposition.
- 1996 NSF CAREER Award
- 1991 Roger A. Haken Best Student Paper Award (Int'l Electron Devices Meeting)
- 1991 Semiconductor Research Corporation Technical Excellence Award