- PhD, Electrical Engineering, University of Minnesota, 2012
- MSc, Electrical Engineering, University of Minnesota, 2009
- BE, Electronic Engineering, Tsinghua University, 2006
- Assistant Professor, Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering, University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign, 2014-present
- Postdoctoral Research Associate, Information Trust Inst., University of Illinois, Aug 2012-Dec 2013
For more information
ECE 330: Power Circuits and Electronmechanics, Spring 2013, 2014
Undergraduate Research Opportunities
Prof. H. Zhu looks forward to working with undergraduate students with good analytic and math background.
- Adaptive signal processing
- Dynamics and stability of power systems
- Intelligent devices and controls for electricity grids
- Operation and control of power systems
- Power and Energy Systems
- Signal detection and estimation
Selected Articles in Journals
- H. Zhu and T. J. Overbye, "Blocking Device Placement for Mitigating the Effects of Geomagnetically Induced Currents," IEEE Trans. Power Systems, 2014 (accepted).
- H. Zhu and G. B. Giannakis, "Nonlinear Power System State Estimation using Distributed Semidefinite Programming," IEEE Journal of Special Topics in Signal Processing, December 2014
- C. Chen, H. Zhu and J. Wang, "Effects of Phasor Measurement Uncertainty on Power Line Outage Detection," IEEE Journal of Special Topics in Signal Processing, December 2014.
- E. DallAnese, H. Zhu, and Georgios B. Giannakis, "Distributed Optimal Power Flow for Smart Microgrids," IEEE Trans. Smart Grid,, vol. 4, no. 3, pp. 1464-1475, Sep. 2013.
- G. B. Giannakis, N. Gatsis, V. Kekatos, S.-J. Kim, H. Zhu, and B. Wollenberg, “Signal Processing for Smart Monitoring and Optimization of Power Systems,” IEEE Signal Processing Magazine (Feature Article), vol. 30, no. 5, pp. 107-128, Sep. 2013.
- H. Zhu and G. B. Giannakis, “Sparse Overcomplete Representations for Efficient Identification of Power Line Outages,” IEEE Trans. Power Systems, vol. 27, no. 4, pp. 2215-2224, November 2012.
- H. Zhu, G. Leus, and G. B. Giannakis, “Sparsity-Cognizant Total Least-Squares for Perturbed Compressive Sampling,” IEEE Trans. Signal Processing, vol. 59, no. 5, pp. 2002-2016, May 2011.
- H. Zhu and G. B. Giannakis, “Exploiting Sparse User Activity in Multiuser Detection,” IEEE Trans. Communications, vol. 59, no. 2, pp. 454-465, February 2011.