- Research Staff
- Research Staff
Ph.D. Chemistry, Brown University, 1983
Synthesis and development of tailored organometallic, inorganic and polymeric precursors to deposit nanoscale materials, such as thin films, nanoparticles and nanowires of metals and ceramics, and micro and nano-spheres of biomaterials, via sol-gel processing, flow-limited field emission electrostatic spray (FFESS) deposition, and chemical vapor deposition (CVD) for applications including dye-sensitized solar cells and display devices, and via precision particle fabrication (PPF) technology for advanced drug delivery systems and encapsulation of cells, especially islets for the treatment of type I diabetes.
- Bio-materials: micro and nano spheres/capsules of biodegradable/compatible materials for advance drug delivery, tissue engineering, and cell encapsulation.
- Electronic and optical materials: electronic, optical and magnetic materials for various devices involving thin films, micro and nano particles, and nanowires/tubes of metals, and metal nitrides and oxides utilizing their electronic, optical, optoelectronic, and magnetic properties.
- Thin film and nanoparticle fabrication: Thin films, micro and nano particles, and nanowires/tubes via sol-gel processing, charged liquid cluster beam (CLCB) deposition, chemical vapor deposition (CVD), chemical solution deposition (CSD), and precision particle fabrication (PPF) technology.
- Precursors for Nanoscale materials synthesis: Syntheses and development of tailored organometallic, inorganic and polymeric precursors
- Semiconductor materials
Selected Articles in Journals
- I.-Y. Kim, P. L. Pusey, Y. Zhao, S. S. Korban, H. Choi, K. Kim, “Controlled release of Pantoea agglomerans E325 for biocontrol of fire blight disease of apple”, J. Control. Release 161(2012) 109-115.
- Y.-C. Jin, S.-W. Kim, F. Cheng, J.-H. Shin, J.-K. Park, S. Lee, J.-E. Lee, P.-L. Han, M. Lee, K. Kim, H. Choi, J.-K. Lee, “The effect of biodegradable gelatin microspheres on the neuroprotective effects of high mobility group box 1 A box in the postischemic brain”, Biomaterials 32 (2011) 899 – 908.
- Y. B. Choy, F. Cheng, H. Choi, and K. Kim, “Uniform Chitosan Microspheres for Potential Application to Colon-Specific Drug Delivery", Macromol. Biosci. 2008, 8, 1173–1181.
- C. Kim, W. Gu, M. Briceno, I. M. Robertson, H. Choi, and K. Kim, “Copper Nanowires with Five-Twinned Structure Grown by Chemical Vapor Deposition” Adv. Mater. 2008, 20, 1859–1863.
- Y. B. Choy, F. Cheng, H. Choi, and K. Kim "Monodisperse Gelatin Microspheres as a Drug Delivery Vehicle: Release Profile and Effect of Cross-Linking Density", Macromol. Biosci. 2008, 8, 758–765.
- W. Gu, P. E. Heil, H. Choi, and K. Kim, "Comprehensive model for fine Coulomb fission of liquid droplets charged to Rayleigh limit Comprehensive model for fine Coulomb fission of liquid droplets charged to Rayleigh limit", Appl. Phys. Lett. 2007, 91, 064104.
- Y. B. Choy, H. Choi, and K. Kim, "Fabrication of uniform biodegradable hydrogel microspheres by a surfactant-free electric-field-assisted method," Macromol. Biosci. 2007, 7, 423-428.
- W. Gu, H. Choi, and K. Kim,"Universal approach to accurate resistivity measurement for a single nanowire: Theory and application", Appl. Phys. Lett. 2006, 89, 253102.
- S. Park, S. Lim and H. Choi, "Fe(II) Hydrides as Precursors for Chemical Vapor Deposition of Iron and Iron Oxide Thin Films", Chem. Mater., 2006, 18, 5150.
- H. Choi and S. Park, "Seedless Growth of Free-Standing Copper Nanowires by Chemical Vapor Deposition", J. Am. Chem. Soc. 2004, 126, 6248 -6249.
- H. Kang, S. Park, H. Choi, K. Kim, M. Sung, "SrTiO3 Thin Films Deposited by Charged Liquid Cluster Beam Technique in Combination with Sol-Gel Processing", Electrochem. Solid-State Lett., 2004, 7, F70 ?F72.
- H. Kang, S. Park, H. Choi, K. Kim, M. Sung, "Low-Temperature Growth of Highly Crystalline (Ba, Sr)TiO3 Films by Charged Liquid Cluster Beam Method", Electrochem. Solid-State Lett., 2004, 7, F77 ?F80.
- H. Choi, S. Park, and T. H. Kim, "Novel Nickel Precursors for Chemical Vapor Deposition," Chemistry of Materials, vol. 15, p. 3735, 2003.
- H. Choi and S. Park, "Liquid Cobalt(I) Hydride Complexes as Precursors for Chemical Vapor Deposition," Chemistry of Materials, vol. 15, p. 3121, 2003.
- Encapsulated Materials and Methods for Encapsulating Materials, K. Kim, and H. Choi, U. S. Patent No. 8,293,271 B2, 2012.
- "Nanostructures Including A Metal," H. Choi, PCT 10/664,431(US), 2003; U. S. Patent No. 7,344,753, 2008.
- "Microparticles," K. Kim, H. Choi, and Y. B. Choy, U. S. Patent No. 7,309,500, 2007.
- "Organometallic Compounds and their use as Precursors for Forming Films, and Powders of Metal or Metal Derivatives," H. Choi, China Patent Pub. No. 101139365, 2008; Korean Patent Pub. No. 1020030028767, 2003; European Patent Pub. No. 1299404 (A1), 2003; U. S. Patent No. 6,777,565, 2004.
- "Organocopper Precursors for Chemical Vapor Deposition," H. Choi, U. S. Patent No. 6,538,147, 2003.
- "Amidoalane Precursors for Chemical Vapor Deposition of Aluminum", H. Choi, U. S. Patent No. 5,880,303, 1999.
- Arnold O. Beckman Research Award, 2012
- Arnold O. Beckman Research Award, 2006