James W. Beauchamp
Primary Research Area
- Biomedical Imaging, Bioengineering, and Acoustics - Computer Music Synthesis, Audio
For more information
audio, computer music, musical acoustics, analysis and synthesis of musical sound, musical timbre perception, automatic pitch detection and sound source separation from music recordings
Books Edited or Co-Edited (Revisions)
- James W. Beauchamp, ed.: Analysis, Synthesis, and Perception of Musical Sounds: The Sound of Music, Springer (2007).
- Heinz von Foerster and James W. Beauchamp, eds.: Music by Computers, John Wiley & Sons (1969).
Chapters in Books
- A. B. Horner and J. W. Beauchamp, "Instrument modeling and synthesis", in Handbook of Signal Processing in Acoustics, D. Havelock, S. Kuwano, and M. Vorlander, Eds., Springer, N. Y., Vol. 1, pp. 375-397 (2008).
- J. W. Beauchamp, "Analysis and Synthesis of Musical Instrument Sounds", in Analysis, Synthesis, and Perception of Musical Sounds: Sound of Music, J. W. Beauchamp, Ed., Springer, N. Y., pp. 1 - 89 (2007). (!)
Selected Articles in Journals
- J. W. Beauchamp, "Trombone Transfer Functions: Comparison Between Frequency-Swept Sine Wave and Human Performance Input", Archives of Acoustics, Vo. 37, No. 4, pp. 447-454 (2012).
- C. Lee, A. Horner, and J. Beauchamp, "Discrimination of musical instrument tones resynthesized with piecewise-linear approximated harmonic amplitude envelopes, J. Audio Eng. Soc., Vol. 60, No. 11, pp. 899-912 (2012).
- A. B. Horner, J. W. Beauchamp, and R. H. Y. So, "Evaluation of Mel-Band and MFCC-Based Error Metrics for Correspondence to Discrimination of Spectrally Altered Musical Instrument Sounds", J. Audio Eng. Soc., Vol. 59, No. 5, pp. 290-303 (2011).
- M. D. Hall and J. W. Beauchamp, "Clarifying Spectral And Temporal Dimensions Of Musical Instrument Timbre", Canadian Acoustics, Vol. 37, No. 1, pp. 3 - 22 (2009).
- A. B. Horner, J. W. Beauchamp, and R. H. Y. So, "Detection of time-varying harmonic amplitude alterations due to spectral interpolations between musical instrument tones", J. Acoust. Soc. Am., Vol. 125, No. 1, pp. 492-502 (2009).
- A. B. Horner, J. W. Beauchamp, and R. H. Y. Lo, "A search for best metrics to predict discrimination of original and spectrally altered musical instrument sounds", J. Audio Eng. Soc., Vol. 54, No. 3, pp. 140-156 (2006).
- J. W. Beauchamp, "Musical Acoustics: Brass Acoustics -- Is Propagation Linear or Nonlinear?", Acoustics Today, Vol. 2, No. 2, pp. 52-53, April, 2006.
- A. Horner, J. Beauchamp, and R. So, "Detection of random alterations to time-varying musical instrument spectra", J. Acoust. Soc. Am., Vol. 116, No. 3, pp. 1800-1810 (2004).
Articles in Conference Proceedings
- W. Kausel, J. W. Beauchamp, and S. Carral, "Brass instrument power efficiency and the relationship between input impedance and transfer function", Proc. Meetings on Acoustics (POMA), Vol. 19, pp. 035069 (June 2013); (9 pages).
- M. Bay, A. F. Ehmann, J. W. Beauchamp, P. Smaragdis and J. S. Downie, "Second Fiddle is Important Too: Pitch Tracking Individual Voices in Polyphonic Music", Proc. 13th Conf. Int. Soc. Music Information Retrieval (ISMIR 2012), pp. 319-324 (2012).
- J. W. Beauchamp, A. B. Horner, and L. Ayers, "Effect of critical band data reduction of musical instrument sounds", Proc 9th Int. Conf. on Music Perception and Cognition (ICMPC 9), Bononia Univ, Press, Bologna, Italy, pp. 52-58 (2006).
- M. Bay and J. W. Beauchamp, "Harmonic source separation using prestored spectra", Proc. 6th Int. Conf. on Independent Component Analysis and Blind Source Separation (ICA06), Springer-Verlag Berlin Heidelberg, pp. 561-568 (2006).
- Fellow of the Acoustical Society of America (Nov. 3, 1999)
- Fellow of the Audio Engineering Society (May 14, 1981)