Primary Research Area
Ph.D., Physical Chemistry, University of California, Los Angeles, 1993
For more information
- Materials Research Society, member, 2011.
- American Chemical Society, member, 2010.
- IEEE, senior member, 2008.
Undergraduate Research Opportunities
Research positions available to undergraduate students who have strong interests in semiconductor materials, processing and devices, and firm commitment to research. Past undergraduate student researchers in professor Li's group have produced first-author papers, patents, and conference presentations. Interested students please contact Prof. Li with complete CV.
- Metalorganic chemical vapor deposition (MOCVD) and semiconductor fabrication
- Semiconductor nanostructures for energy harvesting and storage
- Semiconductor nanoelectronic and nanophotonic devices
- Lasers and optical physics
- Microcavity lasers and nanophotonics
- Microelectronics and Photonics
- Nano-electronics and single electronics
- Photonic crystals
- Plasma devices and plasma science
- Semiconductor electronic devices
- Semiconductor lasers and photonic devices
- Semiconductor materials
Selected Articles in Journals
- “A Distributive-Transconductance Model for Border Traps in III-V/High-k MOS Capacitors,” C. Zhang, M. Xu, P. D. Ye, and X. Li, IEEE Electron. Dev. Letts. in press (2013).
- “Doubling the power output of bifacial thin-film GaAs solar cells by embedding them in luminescent waveguides,” X. Sheng, L. Shen, T. Kim, L. Li, X. Wang, R. Dowdy, P. Froeter, K. Shigeta, X. Li, R. G. Nuzzo, N. C. Giebink, and J. A. Rogers, Adv. Energy Mater., (2013).
- “Anomalous modulation of a zero bias peak in a hybrid nanowire-superconductor device,” A.D.K. Finck, D.J. Van Harlingen, P.K. Mohseni, K. Jung, and X. Li, Phys. Rev. Lett. 110, 126406 (2013).
- “InxGa1-xAs Nanowire Growth on Graphene: van der Waals Epitaxy Induced Phase Segregation,” P. K. Mohseni, A. Behnam , J. D. Wood , C. English , J. W. Lyding , E. Pop , and X. Li, Nano Lett. ASAP.
- “Relationship between Planar GaAs Nanowire Growth Direction and Substrate Orientation,” R. Dowdy, D. Walko, and X. Li, Nanotechnology, accepted, (2013).
- “Thermal Conductivity of Silicon Nanowire Arrays with Controlled Roughness,” Jyothi Swaroop Sadhu , Bruno P Azeredo , Keng Hsu , Jun Ma , Junhwan Kim , Myunghoon Seong , Nicholas X. Fang , Xiuling Li , Placid Ferreira , Sanjiv Sinha , David G. Cahill, J. Appl. Phys. 112, 114306 (2012).
- “On-Chip Inductors with Self-rolled-up SiNx Nanomembrane Tubes: a Novel Design for Extreme Miniaturization,” W. Huang, X. Yu, R. Xu, P. Froeter, P. Ferreira, and X. Li, Nano Lett. 12 (12), pp 6283–6288, (2012).
- “Heterogeneous Integration of InGaAs Nanowires on the Rear Surface of Si Solar Cells for Efficiency Enhancement,” J. C. Shin, P. Mohseni, K. J. Yu, S. Tomasulo, K. Montgomery, M. L. Lee, J. A. Rogers, and X. Li, ACS Nano, 6 (12), pp 11074–11079, (2012).
- "Flexible Vertical Light Emitting Diodes," R.-H. Kim, S. Kim, Y.M. Song, H. Jeong, T.-I. Kim, J. Lee, X. Li, K.D. Choquette and J.A. Rogers, Small 8(20), 3123-3128 (2012).
- “Vertically stacked individually tunable nanowire field effect transistors for low power operation with ultrahigh radio frequency linearity,” Y. Song, J. Luo, and X. Li, Appl. Phys. Lett. 101, 093509 (2012).
- “Sub-100 nm Si nanowire and nano-sheet array formation by MacEtch using a non-lithographic InAs Nanowire Mask,” J. C. Shin, C. Zhang and X. Li, Nanotechnology, 23, 305305 (2012).
- “Porosity control in metal assisted chemical etching of degenerately doped silicon,” K. Balasundaram, J. S. Sadhu, J. C. Shin, B. Azeredo, D. Chanda, M. Malik, K. Hsu, J. A. Rogers, Placid Ferreira, Sanjiv Sinha, and X. Li, Nanotechnology, 23, 305304 (2012).
- “Characteristics of Strain-Induced InxGa1-xAs Nanowires Grown on Si (111) Substrates Crystal Growth & Design,” J. C. Shin, K. J. Choi, D. Y. Kim, W. J. Choi, X. Li, Crystal Growth and Design, 12, 2994-2998 (2012).
- “Metal Assisted Chemical Etching for High Aspect Ratio Nanostructures: A Review of Characteristics and Applications in Photovoltaics,” X. Li, Current Opinion in Solid State & Materials Science, invited review article, 16, 71-81 (2012).
- “Two-Dimensional Nanomembranes: Can They Outperform Lower Dimensional Nanocrystals?” B. Nikoobakht and X. Li, ACS Nano, 6 (3), 1883–1887, (2012).
- "Realization of Unidirectional Planar GaAs Nanowires on (110) Substrates", R. Dowdy, D. Walko, S. A. Fortuna, and X. Li, IEEE Electron Device Letters, 33, 522-524 (2012).
- “Experimental Study of Design Parameters in Periodic Silicon Micropillar Array Solar Cells Produced by Soft Lithography and Metal Assisted Chemical Etching,” J.C. Shin, D. Chanda, W. Chern, K.J. Yu, J.A. Rogers, and X. Li, IEEE J. Photovoltaics, 2, 129-133 (2012).
- “Metal Assisted Chemical Etching for High Aspect Ratio Nanostructures: A Review of Characteristics and Applications in Photovoltaics,” X. Li, Current Opinion in Solid State & Materials Science, invited review article, in press.
- “Strain Induced Self-rolled-up Ring Resonators: a review of geometrical and resonant properties,” X. Li, Advances in Optics and Photonics, invited article, 3 (4), 366-387 (2011).
- “Formation of High Aspect Ratio GaAs Nanostructures with Metal Assisted Chemical Etching,” M. T. DeJarld, J. C. Shin, W. Chern, D. Chanda, K. Balasundaram, J. A. Rogers, and X. Li, Nano Lett., 11, 5259-5263 (2011).
- “InxGa1-xAs Nanowires on Silicon: One-Dimensional Heterogeneous Epitaxy, Bandgap Engineering, and Photovoltaics,” J. C. Shin, K. H. Kim, K. J. Yu, H. Hu, L. Yin, C. Ning, J. A. Rogers, J. Zuo, and X. Li, Nano Lett., 11, 4831-4838 (2011).
- "Scalable Monolithically Grown AlGaAs-GaAs Planar Nanowire High Electron Mobility Transistor,” X. Miao and X. Li, IEEE Electron. Dev. Lett., 32, 1227-1229 (2011).
- “Epitaxial growth of three-dimensionally architecture optoelectronic devices,” E. C. Nelson, N. L. Dias, K. P. Bassett, S. N. Dunham, V. Verma, M. Miyake, P. Wiltzius, J. A. Rogers, J. J. Coleman, X. Li, P. V. Braun, Nature Materials, 10, 676-681 (2011).
- "Experimental verification of reduced intersubband scattering in ordered nanopore lattices," N. L. Dias, A. Garg, U. Reddy, J. D. Young, K. P. Bassett, X. Li, and J. J. Coleman, Applied Physics Letters, vol. 98. 071109 (2011).
- "Patterned quantum dot molecule laser fabricated by electron beam lithography and wet chemical etching," V.B. Verma, U. Reddy, N.L. Dias, K.P. Bassett, X. Li, and J.J. Coleman, IEEE Journal of Quantum Electronics, v46 n12, 1827-1833 (2010).
- “Direct Heterointegration of III-V Materials on Group IV Substrates", David Ahmari, Brian McDermott, Shawn Thomas, Bradley Roof, Quesnell Hartmann, and Xiuling Li, ECS Transactions, 33 (6), 849 – 857 (2010).
- “Geometry effect on the strain induced self-rolling of semiconductor membranes”, Ik Su Chun, Archana Challa, Brad Derickson, Jimmy Hsia, and X. Li, Nano Lett. 10, 3927-3932 (2010).
- “Tuning the Photoluminescence Characteristics with Curvature for GaAs Quantum Well Microtubes,” I. Chun, K. Bassett, A. Challa, and X. Li, Applied Physics Letters, 96, 251106 (2010).
- “Light Emission Characteristics and Mechanics of Foldable Inorganic Light-Emitting Diodes,” Sang-Il Park, An-Phong Le, Jian Wu, Yonggang Huang, Xiuling Li, and John A. Rogers, Advanced Mater. 22, 2062 (2010).
- "Nonlithographic Patterning and Metal-Assisted Chemical Etching for Manufacturing of Tunable Light-Emitting Silicon Nanowire Arrays," W. Chern, K. Hsu, I.S. Chun, B.P. de Azeredo, N. Ahmed, K.H. Kim, J. Zuo, N. Fang, P. Ferreira, and X. Li, Nano Letters 10, 1582 (2010).
- "GaAs photovoltaics and optoelectronics using releasable multilayer epitaxial assemblies," J. Yoon, S. Jo, I.S. Chun, I. Jung, H.S. Kim, M. Meitl, E. Menard, X. Li, J.J. Coleman, U. Paik & J.A. Rogers, Nature 465, 329 (2010).
- “Topography and refractometry of nanostructures using spatial light interference microscopy (SLIM)”, Zhuo Wang, Ik Su Chun, Xiuling Li, Zhun-Yong Ong, Eric Pop, Larry Millet, Martha Gillette, and Gabriel Popescu, Opt. Lett. 35 (2), 208 (2010).
- “Metal-catalyzed semiconductor nanowires: a review on the control of growth direction,” S.A. Fortuna, and X. Li, Semiconductor Science and Technology, 25 (2010) 024005.
- "Printed Assemblies of Inorganic Light-Emitting Diodes for Deformable and Semitransparent Displays," Sang-Il Park,Yujie Xiong,Rak-Hwan Kim,Paulius Elvikis, Matthew Meitl, Dae-Hyeong Kim, Jian Wu, Jongseung Yoon, Chang-Jae Yu, Zhuangjian Liu, Yonggang Huang, Keh-chih Hwang, Placid Ferreira, Xiuling Li, Kent Choquette, John A. Rogers, Science, 325, 977 (2009).
- "GaAs MESFET with a High Mobility Self-Assembled Planar Nanowire Channel," S. A. Fortuna and X. Li, IEEE Electron. Device Letters, 30 (6), 593-595 (2009).
- "Planar GaAs Nanowires on GaAs (100) Substrates: Self-Aligned, Nearly Twin-Defect Free, and Transfer-Printable", S.A. Fortuna, J. Wen, I.S. Chun, and X. Li, Nano Letters, 8(12), 4421-4427 (2008).
- "Strain Induced Semiconductor Nanotubes: from formation process to device applications", Xiuling Li, Journal of Physics D: Applied Phys., invited topical review, 41, 193001 (2008)
- "Nanoscale three dimensional pattern formation in light emitting porous silicon", Ik Su Chun,Edmond Chow, and Xiuling Li, Applied Physics Letters, 92, 191113 (2008).
- "Controlled Assembly and Dispersion of Strain Induced InGaAs-GaAs Nanotubes," Ik Su Chun and Xiuling Li, IEEE Transaction on Nanotechnology, 7, 493 (2008).
- "InGaAs/GaAs 3D Architecture Formation by Strain Induced Self-Rolling with Lithographically Defined Rectangular Stripe Arrays," I.S. Chun, V.B. Verma, V.C. Elarde, S.W. Kim, J.M. Zuo, J.J. Coleman, and X. Li, J. of Crystal Growth, 310, 2353 (2008).
- “Fabrication and Characterization of InGaP/GaAs Heterojunction Bipolar Transistors on Germanium on Insulator (GOI) Substrates,” S. G. Thomas, E. S. Johnson, C. Tracy, P. Maniar, X. Li, B. Roof, Q. Hartmann and D. A. Ahmari, Electron Device Lett., 26, 438 , 2005.
- "In-plane Bandgap Control in Porous GaN through Electroless Wet Chemical Etching," X. Li, Y.-W. Kim, P. W. Bohn, and I. Adesida, Appl. Phys. Lett., 80, 980-982 (2002).
- "In-plane Control of Morphology and Tunable Photoluminescence in Porous Silicon Produced by Metal-assisted Electroless Chemical Etching," S. Chattopadhyay, X. Li, P.W. Bohn, J. Appl. Phys, 91, 6134 (2002).
- "Catalytic Amplification of the Soft Lithographic Patterning of Si. Nonelectrochemical Orthogonal Fabrication of Photoluminescent Porous Si Pixel Arrays," Y. Harada, X. Li, P.W. Bohn, and R.G. Nuzzo, J. Am. Chem. Soc. 123, 8709-8717 (2001).
- "Experimental Factors Determining the Efficiency of Analyte Ion Generation in Laser Desorption/Ionization Mass Spectrometry on Porous Silicon," R.A. Kruse, X. Li, P.W. Bohn, and J.V. Sweedler, Analyt. Chem. 73, 3639-3645 (2001).
- “Temperature dependence of photoluminescence spectra from multiple Er3+ sites in Er-implanted undoped and Mg-doped GaN,” Kim, S.; Rhee, S.J.; White, J.O.; Mitofsky, A.M.; Li, X.; Papen, G.C.; Coleman, J.J.; Bishop, S.G., Mater. Sci. Eng. B, 81, 136, (2001).
- "Spectroscopic Studies of the Modification of Crystalline Si (111) Surfaces with Covalently-attached Alkyl Chains using a Chlorination/Alkylation Method," A. Bansal, X. Li, S. Yi, W. H. Weinberg, and N. S. Lewis, J. Phys. Chem. B, 105 (42), 10266-10277 (2001).
- "Effects of material growth technique and Mg doping on Er/sup 3+/ photoluminescence in Er-implanted GaN," Kim, S.; Henry, R.L.; Wickenden, A.E.; Koleske, D.D.; Rhee, S.J.; White, J.O.; Myoung, J.M.; Kim, K.; Li, X.; Coleman, J.J.; Bishop, S.G., J J. Appl. Phys., 90, 252 (2001).
- “Selective enhancement of 1540 nm Er3+ emission centers in Er- implanted GaN by Mg codoping”, S. Kim, S.J. Rhee, X. Li, J.J. Coleman, and S.G. Bishop, Appl. Phys. Lett. 76, 2403 (2000).
- “Metal-assisted chemical etching in HF/H2O2 produces porous silicon”, X. Li and P.W. Bohn, Appl. Phys. Lett.77, 2572 (2000).
- “Spatially resolved bandedge emission from partially coalesced GaN pyramids prepared by epitaxial lateral overgrowth”,X. Li, P.W. Bohn, J. Kim, J. A. White and J. J. Coleman, Appl. Phys. Lett.76, 3031 (2000).
- “Arsenic oxide microcrystals in anodically processed GaAs: electrochemical growth, spectroscopy and morphology”, X. Li and P.W. Bohn, J. Electrochem. Soc. 147, 1740 (2000).
- “Impurity states are the origin of yellow band origin in GaN produced by epitaxial lateral overgrowth”, X. Li, P.W. Bohn and J. J. Coleman, Appl. Phys. Lett.75, 4049 (1999).
- “Production and evolution of composition, morphology, and luminescence properties of microcrystalline arsenic oxide produced during anodic processing of (100) GaAs", C. M. Finnie, X. Li, and P. W. Bohn, , J. Appl. Phys. 86, 4997 (1999).
- “Annealing studies of photoluminescence spectra from multiple Er3+ centers in Er-implanted GaN”, S. Kim, S.J. Rhee, X. Li, J.J. Coleman, and S.G. Bishop, J. Electron. Mater. 28, 266 (1999).
- “Photoluminescence and photoluminescence excitation spectroscopy of in situ Er-doped and Er-implanted GaN films grown by hydride vapor phase epitaxy”, S. Kim, X. Li, J.J. Coleman, R. Zhang, D. M. Hansen, T.F. Kuech, and S.G. Bishop, MRS Internet J. Nitride Semicond. Res. 4S1, U956 (1999).
- "GaN lateral overgrowth and optical characterization", X. Li, S. G. Bishop, and J. J. Coleman, Appl. Phys. Lett.73, 1179 (1998).
- “The incorporation of arsenic in GaN by metalorganic chemical vapor deposition”, X. Li, S. Kim, E.E. Reuter, S.G. Bishop, and J.J. Coleman, Appl. Phys. Lett. 72, 1990 (1998).
- “Excitation mechanisms of multiple Er3+ sites in Er-implanted GaN”, Kim, S.J. Rhee, X. Li, J.J. Coleman, S.G. Bishop, and P. B. Klein, J. Electron. Mater. 27, 246 (1998).
- “Photoluminescence and photoluminescence excitation spectroscopy of multiple Nd3+ sites in Nd-implanted GaN”, Kim, S.J. Rhee, X. Li, J.J. Coleman, and S.G. Bishop, Phys. Rev. B 57, 14588 (1998).
- "Observation of multiple Er3+ sites in Er-implanted GaN by site-selective photoluminescence excitation spectroscopy",Kim, S. J. Rhee, D. A. Turnbull, E. E. Reuter, X. Li, J. J. Coleman, and S. G. Bishop, Appl. Phys. Lett. 71, 231 (1997).
- “Characteristics of GaN stripes grown by selective-area metalorganic chemical vapor deposition”, X. Li, A. M. Jones, S. D. Roh, D. A. Turnbull, S. G. Bishop and J. J. Coleman, J. Electron. Mater. 26, 306 (1997).
- “Depth-resolved and excitation power dependent cathodoluminescence study of GaN films grown by metalorganic chemical vapor deposition”, X. Li, J. J. Coleman, Appl. Phys. Lett. 70, 438 (1997).
- “Trap-mediated excitation of Er3+ photoluminescence in Er-implanted GaN", Kim, S. J. Rhee, D. A. Turnbull, X. Li, J. J. Coleman, and S. G. Bishop, P. B. Klein, Appl. Phys. Lett. 71, 2662 (1997).
- “Surface photoabsorption monitoring of the growth of GaAs and InGaAs at 650 degrees C by MOCVD”, Y. D. Kim, F. Nakamura, E. Yoon, D. V. Forbes, X. Li, and J. J. Coleman, J. Electron. Mater. 26, 1164 (1997).
- “Effect of e-beam irradiation on a p-n junction GaN light emitting diode”, X. Li, S. Q. Gu, E. E. Reuter, J. T. Verdeyen, S. G. Bishop and J. J. Coleman, J. Appl. Phys. 80, 2687 (1996).
- “Time dependent study of low energy electron beam irradiation of Mg-doped GaN grown by metalorganic chemical vapor deposition”, X. Li and J. J. Coleman, Appl. Phys. Lett. 69, 1605 (1996).
- "Luminescence studies of GaN grown on GaN and GaN/AlN buffer layers by metalorganic chemical vapor deposition", D. A. Turnbull, X. Li, S.Q. Gu, E.E. Reuter, J.J. Coleman and S.G. Bishop, J. Appl. Phys. 80, 5609 (1996).
- “Alkylation of Si surfaces using a 2-step halogenation Grinard Route”, A. Bansal, X. Li, I. Lauermann, N. S. Lewis, S. Yi and W. H. Weinberg, J. Am. Chem. Soc. 118, 7225 (1996).
- “A new buffer layer for the growth of GaN by MOCVD”, X. Li, D. V. Forbes, S. Q. Gu, D. A. Turnbull, S. G. Bishop and J. J. Coleman, J. Electron. Mater. 24, 1711 (1995).
- “Ultraviolet absorption bands of ionic compound clusters: onset of crystalline structures in [Csn+1In]+, n = 1 - 13”, X. Li and R. L. Whetten J. Chem. Phys. 98, 6170 (1993).
- "Ultraviolet absorption bands of [Csn+1In]+ clusters ( n < 14 )", X. Li, R. L. Whetten, Z. Phys. D 26, 198-200 (1993).
- “Photon-induced ejection of halogen atoms in alkali-halide nanocrystals”, X. Li, R. D. Beck and R. L. Whetten Phys. Rev. Lett. 68, 3420 (1992).
- “Stability islands for doubly charged clusters below the kinetic critical size”, X. Li and R. L. Whetten Chem. Phys. Lett., 196, 535 (1992).
- "Reactions of alkali-halide clusters",R. L. Whetten, M. L. Homer, X. Li, F. E. Livingston, P. St. John and R. D. Beck, Ber. Bunsenges. Physik. Chem. 96, 1120 (1992).
- "Complete statistical thermodynamics of the cluster phase transition", H. P. Cheng, X. Li and R. L. Whetten, Phys. Rev. A 46, 791 (1992).
- "Nonbulk convergence of solvent spectral shift in doped molecular clusters", X. Li, M. Y. Hahn, S. El-Shell and R. L. Whetten, J. Phys. Chem. 95, 8524 (1991).
- "Spectroscopic signatures of structural aufbau in (benzene)n; n=7-19", D. C. Easter, X. Li and R. L. Whetten, J. Chem. Phys. 95, 6362 (1991).
- Method of Forming a Metal Pattern on a Semiconducting Substrate for Metal-Assisted Chemical Etching (US patent serial number 61/606,790, pending)
- Method of forming an array of high aspect ratio semiconductor nanostructures (US Appl. Serial No. 61/253,700, pending)
- Method for forming Nanoscale Three Dimensional Patterns in a Porous Material (US patent No. 61/094,319, pending)
- Method of controlled growth and release of self-aligned planar semiconductor nanowires (US patent No. 61/048,207, pending)
- Metal-assisted chemical etching to produce porous group III-V materials (US6762134, 07/13/2004)
- Metal-assisted chemical etching porous silicon formation method (US6790785, 09/14/2004)
“MacEtch: anisotropic metal assisted chemical etching defies the textbook”, Xiuling Li, SPIE Newsroom, March 28, 2012.
- Dean's award for excellence in research (2012)
- ONR Young Investigator Research award (2011)
- Fellow, Center for Advanced Study, UIUC (2010)
- DARPA Young Faculty Award (2009)
- National Science Foundation CAREER Award (2008)
- Outstanding Symposium Paper, Materials Research Society fall meeting (2008)
- Best Paper Award, along with Student Seth Fortuna, IEEE Lasers and Electro-optics Annual Meeting (2008)