Primary Research Area
- Communications - Coding theory and applications
For more information
- PhD, Electrical and Computer Engineering, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, 2002
- MSc, Mathematics, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, 2001
- Visiting Professor, University of California, San Diego 2006-2007
- Assistant Professor, University of Colorado, Boulder 2002-2007
Major Consulting Activities
- Consultant, Bell Labs-Lucent Technology, May 2005 - May 2006
The current research focus of our group is on
1) Developing new approaches for studying problems in bioinformatics and bioengineering using coding and information theory. In particular, we investigate fundamental questions pertaining to design methodologies for DNA microarrays with error- and quality-control features and DNA microarrays that utilize compressed sensing principles.
2) Providing a bridge between the theory of compressed sensing and superimposed coding; non-linear compressive sensing with quantization and fault-tolerant sensing algorithms.
3) Using coding and information theory to study problems such as RNA folding, reverse engineering of gene-regulatory networks, and cost-constrained genome reversal distances.
4) Constructing and analyzing codes on graphs and developing new methods for studying the combinatorial properties of random ensembles of low-density parity-check codes. Our studies mainly focus on the computational complexity of problems quantifying the error-floor phenomena.
5) Analyzing the connections between network coding, matroid theory, and algebraic coding theory.
6) Analyzing the average case complexity of algorithms in coding theory and computer algebra.
- Social Sciences and Voting Theory
- Rank aggregation
- Compressive Sensing
- Signal Processing
- Information Theory
- Constrained Coding
- Error-Control Coding (Algebraic/Iterative)
- Analysis of Algorithms
- Associate Editor, IEEE Transactions on Information Theory, 2011-2013
- Associate Editor, IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing, 2009-2011
- Guest Editor in Chief, Special Issue on Information Theory in Molecular Biology and Neuroscience, IEEE Transactions on Information Theory, 2008.
- Associate Editor for Coding Theory, IEEE Transactions on Communication Theory, 2007-2010.
Conferences Organized or Chaired
- Technical Program Committee Member: ITW'07 (Lake Tahoe, USA)
- Technical Program Committee Member: ICC'09 (Dresden, Germany)
- Technical Program Committee Member: ITW'09, (Volos, Greece)
- Technical Program Committee Member: ISIT'09 (Seul, Korea)
- Workshop Organizer: DIMACS Workshop, "Streaming,Coding, and Compressive Sensing: Unifying Theory and Common Applications to Sparse Signal/Data Analysis and Processing", Rutgers University, 2009.
- Technical Programm Committee Member: ITW'08 (Porto), ICC'06 (Istanbul)
- Top-three paper award, WCMB'08, Leipzig, Germany (2008)
- NSF Career Award (2007)
- DARPA Young Faculty Award (2007)
- Runner-up for best paper award (honorable mentioning), ICC'06, Istanbul, Turkey (2006)
- Rackham Pre-Doctoral Fellowship, University of Michigan (2001)
- Best Undergraduate Thesis Award, Department of Electrical Engineering, University of Nis, Yugoslavia
- ECE 313 - Probability with Engrg Applic
- ECE 398 - Making Sense of Big Data
- ECE 534 - Random Processes
- ECE 556 - Coding Theory
- ECE 559 - Topics in Communications
- MATH 362 - Probability with Engrg Applic