- Doctorate of Philosophy, Nuclear Engineering, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 1970
- Masters of Science, Nuclear Engineering, University of Illionis at Urbana-Champaign, 1965
- Bachelor of Science, Engineering Mechanics, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 1961
- Guest Professor, Engineering Physics Department, Tsinghua University, Beijing, China, Spring 2006.
- Guest Professor, National Institute for Fusion Sciences (NIFS), Toki, Japan, 2003 - 2004
- Professor, Nuclear Engineering Department, University of Missouri-Rolla, 1971-1989
- Summer research, Oak Ridge National Laboratory, 1979
- Visiting Professor, National Tsing Hua University, Taiwan 1977-78 (sabbatical leave)
- Summer research, Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory, 1976 - 1977
- Summer faculty, INRS-Energie, Universite du Quebec, 1971-1973
- Low energy nuclear reactions
- Plasma confinement methods and fusion reactor designs
Selected Articles in Journals
- T. J. Dolan, K. Yamazaki, and A. Sagara, "Helical fusion power plant economics studies," Fusion Science and Technology 47, 60-72 (2005)
- A. Sagara, S. Imagawa, O. Mitarai, T. Dolan, et al., "Improved structure and long-life blanket concepts for heliotron reactors," Nuclear Fusion 45, 258-263 (2005).
- B. Dodd, T. J. Dolan, M. Laraia, and I. Ritchie, "Perspectives on research reactor utilization," Physica B 311, 50-55 (2002).
- U. Rosengard, T. Dolan, D. Miklush, and M. Samiei, "Neutrons for humanitarian demining," IAEA Bulletin, June 2001.
- Thomas Dolan, Stjepko Fazinic, C. U. Rosengard, and Ursula Schneider, "Expanding opportunities: plasma and accelerator technologies for development," IAEA Bulletin 42, Number 1, 47-50 (2000).
Outstanding Teacher Awards, University of Missouri-Rolla (1975, 1979, 1981, 1984, 1986)
- Tau Beta Pi, University of Illinois
- Bronze Tablet, University of Illinois (top 3% of graduating class)
- NPRE 199 - Undergraduate Open Seminar
- NPRE 421 - Plasma and Fusion Science