David N. Ruzic
- Nuclear, Plasma, and Radiological Engineering
- Ph.D., Physics, Princeton University, 1984
- M.A., Physics, Princeton University, 1981
- B.S., Physics/Appl Math, Purdue, 1979
- Abel Bliss Professor of Engineering, 2011 - present
- Affiliate in Micro and Nanotechnology Laboratory- December 2008-present (0%)
- Director, Center for Plasma Material Interactions, 2004 - present
- Associate Vice President for Administration, University Admin., Aug 2002 – Sept 2005
- Faculty Fellow, Vice Presidents for Academic Affairs Office, August 2000 – July 2002
- Assistant Dean, College of Engineering, Academic Programs - 1995-1996
- Professor, 1994-present
- Affiliate Faculty in Dept. of Electrical and Computer Engineering, December 1991 – present
- Associate Professor, 1989-1994
- Affiliate Faculty in Dept. of Material Science and Engineering, June 1988 - 2002
- Honors Faculty for Undergraduate Campus Honors Program, January 1988 - present
- Graduate Faculty in Physics, November 1986 – present
For more information
Other Professional Employment
- Research Staff I, Princeton University Plasma Physics Lab, February 1984 - June 1984
- Research Assistant, Princeton University Plasma Physics Lab, Sept. 1979 - Feb. 1984
- Teaching Assistant, Purdue University, October 1978 - August 1979
- Professorial Assistant, Purdue University, Sept. 1975 - May 1977
Major Consulting Activities
- TOSOH SMD Inc. - Sputtering Target Analysis
- Varian – Expert Witness for Physical Vapor Deposition patent disputes
- Novellus Systems - Expert Witness for Physical Vapor Deposition patent dispute
- Fannie and John Hertz Foundation - Interviewer and Selection Committee
- For more detail including funding source information, see the plasma-material interaction group website or link directly to: http://cpmi.illinois.edu
- Extreme ultraviolet (EUV) sources for lithography and physical vapor deposition
- Plasma processing of semiconductors
- Atomic properties of potential first-wall materials
- Modeling of edge-plasma atomic physics
- Experimental fusion research
Books Edited or Co-Edited (Original Editions)
Guest Editor, Plasma Science, Special Issue on Images in Plasma Science, 24 (1996)
Chapters in Books
- Lithium Book, D. Andruczyk and D. N. Ruzic, "Thermoelectric Effects of Litihium," P. Tabares, Ed., Submitted 2012. (Expected Publish Feb 2013).
- Chapter 2 of Plasma Processing of Nanomaterials, J. Sporre and D. Ruzic, "Extreme Ultraviolet Light Lithography for Producing Nanofeatures in Next-Generation Semiconductor Processing,"R. M. Sankaran, Ed., CRC Press, Boca Raton, 2012, p. 35-54.
- “Contamination”, Chapter 6C 40pp. D.N. Ruzic and S.N. Srivastava in “EUV Lithography” Ed. V. Bakshi, (SPIE press, Bellingham WA, 2008)
- Chapter 36 of EUV Lithography. (37 pages) The chapter is entitled “Origin of Debris in EUV Sources and its Mitigation,” by David N. Ruzic. Edited by Vivek Bakshi, SPIE Book Series, 2005.
- Chapter 3 of "Plasma Handbook of Processing Technology." The chapter is entitled, "Fundamentals of Sputtering and Reflection," by David N. Ruzic. (Noyes, Park Ridge, NJ) edited by S. M. Rossnagel, J. J. Cuomo, and W. D. Westwood, 70-90 (1990).
Selected Articles in Journals
- J. Sporre and D. N. Ruzic, "Debris Transport Analysis at the Intermediate Focus of an EUV Light Source." Journal of Micro/Nanolithography, MEMS and MOEMS, 11(2), 021117 (2012).
- S. Jung, D. Andruczyk, and D. N. Ruzic, "Laboratory Investigation of Vapor, "Shielding for Lithium-Coated Molybdenum in DEVeX", IEEE Transactions in Plasma Science 40(3) 2012.
- C. Castano, M. Agharzarian, J. Caughman, D. Ruzic, "Visual and Electrical Evidence Supporting a Mechanism of Vacuum Breakdown MS," IEEE Transactions on Plasma Science, 40(4) (2012).
- Z. Ouyang, L. Meng, P. Raman, T. S Cho and D N Ruzic, “Laser-assisted plasma coating atatmospheric pressure: production ofyttria-stabilized zirconia thermal barriers”, J. Phys. D: Appl. Phys. 44 (2011) 265202
- L. Meng, A. N. Cloud, S. Jung and D. N. Ruzic, “Study of Plasma Dynamics in a Modulated Pulsed Power Magnetron Discharge Using a Time-Resolved Langmuir Probe”, Journal of Vacuum Science & Technology A 29(1), Jan/Feb 2011.
- D.N. Ruzic, W. Xu, D. Andruczyk and M.A. Jaworski, "Lithium–metal infused trenches (LiMIT) for heat removal in fusion devices," Nuclear Fusion, 51, 102002 (2011).
- S. Jung, V. Surla, T. K. Gray, D. Andruczyk, and D. Ruzic, "Characterization of a theta-pinch plasma using triple probe diagnostic," Journal of Nuclear Materials (2011).
- D. N. Ruzic and V. Surla, "High-energy density beams and plasmas for micro- and nano-texturing of surfaces by rapid melting and solidification," J. Phys. D: Appl. Phys. 44, 174026, (2011).
- V. Surla, M. Tung, W. Xu, D. Andruzcyk, M. Neumann, D. N. Ruzic and D. Mansfield, "Seebeck coefficient measurements of lithium isotopes," Journal of Nuclear Materials 415, 18â€“22 (2011).
- Dulkin, E. Ko, L. Wu, I. Karim, K. Leeser, K. J. Park, L. Meng, and D. N. Ruzic, “Improving the quality of barrier/seed interface by optimizing physical vapor deposition of Cu film on hollow cathode magnetron,” J. Vac. Sci. Technol. A 29(4) (2011) 041514.
- V. Surla, P. Raman, D. Burns, M.J. Neumann, D.N. Ruzic, "Physical and chemical erosion studies of lithiated ATJ graphite," Journal of Nuclear Materials (2011).
- D. N. Ruzic and J. P. Allain, “Guest editorial special issue on symposium on fusion engineering,”IEEE Transactions on Plasma Science, Vol. 38, No. 3 Part 1, p 222-223 (2010).
- K. Ibano, D. Ruzic, and V. Surla, “Sputtering and thermal evaporation studies of lithiated ATJ graphite,” IEEE Transactions on Plasma Science, Vol. 38, No. 3 part 1, p 341-345 (2010).
- C. R. Struck, R. Flauta, M.J. Neumann, K.N. Kim, R. Raju, R. L. Bristol, D.N. Ruzic, “Grazing Incidence Broad Ion Beams for Reducing Line-Edge Roughness,” Journal of Micromechanics and Microengineering, Vol. 20, No. 7 (2010)
- V. Surla, M. A. Jaworski, T. K. Gray, K. Ibano, W. Xu, M. J. Neumann, and D. N. Ruzic, “Lithium research as a Plasma Facing Cmponent Material at the University of Illinois” Thin Solid Films, Vol. 518, No. 22, pp. 6663-6666 (2010)
- R. Raju, L. Meng, R. Flauta, H. Shin, M. J. Neumann, T. A. Dockstader and D. N. Ruzic, “Development and Characterization of a Secondary RF Plasma-Assisted Closed-Field Dual Magnetron Sputtering System for Optical Coatings on Large-Area Substrates”, Plasma Sources and Technology, 19, 025011 (2010).
- M. A. Jaworski, T. K. Gray, M. Antonelli, J. J. Kim, C.Y. Lau, M. B. Lee, M. J. Neumann, W. Xu, and D. N. Ruzic, “Thermoelectric Magnetohydrodynamic Stirring of Liquid Metals” Physics Review Letters, 104, 094503 (2010).
- L. Wu, E. Ko, A. Dulkin, K. J. Park, S. Fields, K. Leeser, L. Meng and D. N. Ruzic, “ Flux and energy analysis of species in hollow cathode magnetron ionized physical vapor deposition of copper “, Review of Scientific Instruments 81, 123502 (2010)
- M. Racic, K. Ibano, R. Raju and D.N. Ruzic, “Physical Erosion Studies of Plain and Lithiated Graphite, Journal of Nuclear Materials, 390-391, pp. 1043-1047 (2009).
- J. Sporre, C. H. Castano, R. Raju, and D. N. Ruzic, “Ionic Debris Measurement of Three Extreme Ultraviolet Sources," Journal of Applied Physics, 106, 4 (2009).
- H. Qiu, S. N. Srivastava, K. C. Thompson, M. J. Neumann, D. N. Ruzic “The Effectiveness of Mo-Au Gibbsian Segregating (GS) Alloys and The Surface Removal Effect on the GS Performance for EUV Collector Optics” Optics Engineering, 48, 056501 (2009).
- "Plasma-Assisted Cleaning by Metastable Atom Neutralization", TF08156, disclosed August 2008, patent applied for
- "Method to Produce Nanoscale Three Dimensional Porous Silicon Patterns and Applications in Self-Integrated High Aspect Ratio Vias or Trenches with Build-in Low K Porous Dielectrics and Wafer Level Packaging Integration", TF08145, disclosed July 2008,patent applied for
- "Line-Edge Roughness Reduction Technique", TF07128, disclosed October 2007, patent applied for
- “Plasma-Based Debris Mitigation for Extreme Ultraviolet (EUV) Light Source” serial no. 10/628, 129 (2005), US #7, 230, 258 (2007)
- “Submicron Particle Removal”, applied for Dec. 5, 2005, serial no. 11/293, 903
- “Chemically Enhanced Physical Vapor Deposition”, US #6, 841, 044 B1 (2005)
- “Erosion-Resistant Self Healing, Self-Cleaning Collector Optics for EUV Lithography” TF03076, disclosed 2003
- “Plasma Treatment of Polymers to Repel Water and Reduce Biofouling,” TF02037, disclosed 2002
- “Plasma Filter for Extreme Ultra Violet Lithography,” TF02117, disclosed 2002
- “Tin Source for Extreme Ultra Violet Lithography,” TF02115, disclosed 2002
Member, Editorial Board, J. Vac. Sci. and Technology A and B, 1994 – 2000
- SPIE, Technical Working Group on EUV Collector Optics, 2004-present
- Advisory Group Member for Plasma-Surface Interactions in Controlled Fusion, International Atomic Energy Agency - 1989-1993
- Advanced Surface Engineering Division, Executive Committee 2000-2006
- Plasma Science and Technology Division Chair PST Division, 1991 - 1992
- Plasma Science and Technology Division Chair, International PSTD, 2005 - present
- American Vacuum Society Fellow, 2007
- American Nuclear Society Fellow, 2004
Service on University Committees
- Formed and chaired Student Service Advisory Committee to the UI-Integrate project.
- Convinced all three campus Senates and administrations to adopt uniform grade notation, values and course numbers systems.
- Formed and chaired Faculty Advisory Committee to the UI-Integrate project.
Service on Department Committees
- Wrote drafts of the Nuclear Engineering Bylaws.
- Special Administrative Assignments: Wrote draft of the request for "Departmental Status" for Nuclear Engineering.
- Faculty Advisor for EOH, 1987-90, 1992-present
- Chairman of Student Committee, Member of Student Committee, 1986-90
- Chairman of Student Committee, 1986-87, 1989-90, 1992-present
Service on College Committees
- Engineering Humanities and Social Science Electives Committee Chairman, 1992 - 1994
- Engineering Humanities and Social Science Electives Committee, 1990 - 1994
- College of Engineering Mentor Program
- Engineering Community College Liaison Committee, 1986 - 2000
Service on Campus Committees
- Task Force on the Environment: Undergraduate Education, 1993 - 1999
- Member of COPE (Council on Program Evaluation), 1991 - 1996
- Campus Honors Program, Advisory Committee, 1989-present
- Campus Honors Program Instructor, 1987-present
- Campus Honors Program Mentor, 1986-present
- Selection Committee for Hertz Foundation, 1987-present
- Interviewer for Hertz Foundation, 1986-present
Other Outside Service
Illini Days speaker, 1993-present
- The Plasma Prize (2012)
- Bliss Professorship in Engineering (May 2011-2016)
- Amercan Vacuum Society Fellow (2007)
- Micron Professorship (2005-2008)
- American Nuclear Society Fellow (2004)
- XEROX Award (1990)
- Arnold O. Beckman Award (1985)
- Presidential Young Investigator Award (1985-1990)
- Campus Award for Excellence in Guiding Undergraduate Research (2009)
- Engineering Council Award for Excellence (2004)
- Student Award for Excellence in Undergraduate Teaching (2003)
- Graduate College Award for Outstanding Mentoring of Graduate Students Finalist (1999)
- Broadrick-Allen Campus Honors Program Teaching Award (1997)
- All-Campus Charles and Harriet Luckman Award for Distinguished Teaching (1996)
- Department of Nuclear Engineering Teaching Excellence Award (1996)
- College of Engineering Teaching Excellence Award (1996)