- PhD, Electrical Engineering, University of Minnesota, 2012
- MSc, Electrical Engineering (Minor: Math), University of Minnesota, 2009
- BE, Electronic Engineering, Tsinghua University, 2006
- Assistant Professor, Dept of Electrical and Computer Engineering, University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign, 2014-present
- Postdoctoral Research Associate, Information Trust Inst., University of Illinois, Aug 2012-Dec 2013
- ECE 498HZ: Power Distribution System Analysis, Spring 2016
- ECE 398BD: Making Sense of Big Data, Spring 2015
- ECE 530: Analysis Techniques for Large-Scale Electrical Systems, Fall 2014-2015
- ECE 330: Power Circuits and Electronmechanics, Spring 2013-2015
Undergraduate Research Opportunities
Prof. H. Zhu looks forward to working with undergraduate students with good analytic and math background.
- Adaptive signal processing
- Dynamics and stability of power systems
- Intelligent devices and controls for electricity grids
- Operation and control of power systems
- Power and Energy Systems
- Signal detection and estimation
Chapters in Books
- G. B. Giannakis, G. Mateos, I. D. Schizas, H. Zhu, and Q. Ling, "Decentralized Learning for Wireless Communications and Networking," in Operator Splitting and Alternating Direction Methods, co-edited by R. Glowinski, S. Osher, W. Yin, 2015 (invited).
Selected Articles in Journals
- H. Zhu and H.-J. Liu, “Fast Local Voltage Control Under Limited Reactive Power: Optimality and Stability Analysis,” IEEE Trans. Power Systems, 2016 (accepted).
- B. A. Robbins, H. Zhu, and A. D. D. Dominguez-Garcia, "Optimal Tap Setting of Voltage Regulation Transformers in Unbalanced Distribution Systems," IEEE Transactions on Power Systems, January 2016
- N. Tobin, H. Zhu,and L. P. Chamorro, "Spectral behavior of the turbulence-driven power fluctuations of wind turbines," Journal of Turbulence, 2015
- H. Zhu and T. J. Overbye, "Blocking Device Placement for Mitigating the Effects of Geomagnetically Induced Currents," IEEE Trans. Power Systems, July 2015
- H. Zhu and G. B. Giannakis, "Nonlinear Power System State Estimation using Distributed Semidefinite Programming," IEEE Journal of Special Topics in Signal Processing, December 2014
- C. Chen, H. Zhu and J. Wang, "Effects of Phasor Measurement Uncertainty on Power Line Outage Detection," IEEE Journal of Special Topics in Signal Processing, December 2014.
- E. DallAnese, H. Zhu, and Georgios B. Giannakis, "Distributed Optimal Power Flow for Smart Microgrids," IEEE Trans. Smart Grid,, vol. 4, no. 3, pp. 1464-1475, Sep. 2013.
- G. B. Giannakis, N. Gatsis, V. Kekatos, S.-J. Kim, H. Zhu, and B. Wollenberg, “Signal Processing for Smart Monitoring and Optimization of Power Systems,” IEEE Signal Processing Magazine (Feature Article), vol. 30, no. 5, pp. 107-128, Sep. 2013.
- H. Zhu and G. B. Giannakis, “Sparse Overcomplete Representations for Efficient Identification of Power Line Outages,” IEEE Trans. Power Systems, vol. 27, no. 4, pp. 2215-2224, November 2012.
- H. Zhu, G. Leus, and G. B. Giannakis, “Sparsity-Cognizant Total Least-Squares for Perturbed Compressive Sampling,” IEEE Trans. Signal Processing, vol. 59, no. 5, pp. 2002-2016, May 2011.
- H. Zhu and G. B. Giannakis, “Exploiting Sparse User Activity in Multiuser Detection,” IEEE Trans. Communications, vol. 59, no. 2, pp. 454-465, February 2011.
Articles in Conference Proceedings
- P. Huynh, H. Zhu, D. Aliprantis, "Non-Intrusive Parameter Estimation for Single-Phase Induction Motors Using Transient Data," Proc. IEEE PECI, Feb. 2015.
- H. Zhu, "Power Network Flow Blocking for Mitigating the Effects of Geomagnetically Induced Currents," Proc. IEEE GlobalSIP, pp. 862-866, Dec. 3-5, 2014.
- H.-J. Liu, R. Macwan, N. Alexander, and H. Zhu, "A methodology to analyze conservation voltage reduction performance using field test data," Proc. IEEE Intl Conf. on Smart Grid Comm. (SmartGridComm), pp. 535-540, Nov. 3-6, 2014.
- G. B. Giannakis and H. Zhu, "State estimation of electrical power networks using semidefinite relaxation," US Patent 13/862,139, 2013.
- N. Prasad, H. Zhu, and S. Rangarajan, "Precoder Design for Physical Layer Multicasting," U.S. Patent # 8917648, 2014
- ECE 330 - Power Ckts & Electromechanics
- ECE 398 - Making Sense of Big Data
- ECE 445 - Senior Design Project Lab
- ECE 498 - Distribution System Analysis
- ECE 530 - Large-Scale System Analysis