Primary Research Area
- Power and Energy Systems
- PhD, Electrical Engineering, University of Minnesota, 2012
- MSc, Electrical Engineering (Minor: Math), University of Minnesota, 2009
- BE, Electronic Engineering, Tsinghua University, 2006
- Assistant Professor, Dept of Electrical and Computer Engineering, University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign, 2014-present
- Postdoctoral Research Associate, Information Trust Inst., University of Illinois, Aug 2012-Dec 2013
For more information
ECE 330: Power Circuits and Electronmechanics, Spring 2013-2015
Undergraduate Research Opportunities
Prof. H. Zhu looks forward to working with undergraduate students with good analytic and math background.
- Adaptive signal processing
- Dynamics and stability of power systems
- Intelligent devices and controls for electricity grids
- Operation and control of power systems
- Power and Energy Systems
- Signal detection and estimation
Chapters in Books
G. B. Giannakis, G. Mateos, I. D. Schizas, H. Zhu, and Q. Ling, "Decentralized Learning for Wireless Communications and Networking," in Operator Splitting and Alternating Direction Methods, co-edited by R. Glowinski, S. Osher, W. Yin, 2015 (invited).
Selected Articles in Journals
- H. Zhu and T. J. Overbye, "Blocking Device Placement for Mitigating the Effects of Geomagnetically Induced Currents," IEEE Trans. Power Systems, 2015 (accepted).
- H. Zhu and G. B. Giannakis, "Nonlinear Power System State Estimation using Distributed Semidefinite Programming," IEEE Journal of Special Topics in Signal Processing, December 2014
- C. Chen, H. Zhu and J. Wang, "Effects of Phasor Measurement Uncertainty on Power Line Outage Detection," IEEE Journal of Special Topics in Signal Processing, December 2014.
- E. DallAnese, H. Zhu, and Georgios B. Giannakis, "Distributed Optimal Power Flow for Smart Microgrids," IEEE Trans. Smart Grid,, vol. 4, no. 3, pp. 1464-1475, Sep. 2013.
- G. B. Giannakis, N. Gatsis, V. Kekatos, S.-J. Kim, H. Zhu, and B. Wollenberg, “Signal Processing for Smart Monitoring and Optimization of Power Systems,” IEEE Signal Processing Magazine (Feature Article), vol. 30, no. 5, pp. 107-128, Sep. 2013.
- H. Zhu and G. B. Giannakis, “Sparse Overcomplete Representations for Efficient Identification of Power Line Outages,” IEEE Trans. Power Systems, vol. 27, no. 4, pp. 2215-2224, November 2012.
- H. Zhu, G. Leus, and G. B. Giannakis, “Sparsity-Cognizant Total Least-Squares for Perturbed Compressive Sampling,” IEEE Trans. Signal Processing, vol. 59, no. 5, pp. 2002-2016, May 2011.
- H. Zhu and G. B. Giannakis, “Exploiting Sparse User Activity in Multiuser Detection,” IEEE Trans. Communications, vol. 59, no. 2, pp. 454-465, February 2011.
Articles in Conference Proceedings
- P. Huynh, H. Zhu, D. Aliprantis, "Non-Intrusive Parameter Estimation for Single-Phase Induction Motors Using Transient Data," Proc. IEEE PECI, Feb. 2015.
- H. Zhu, "Power Network Flow Blocking for Mitigating the Effects of Geomagnetically Induced Currents," Proc. IEEE GlobalSIP, pp. 862-866, Dec. 3-5, 2014.
- H.-J. Liu, R. Macwan, N. Alexander, and H. Zhu, "A methodology to analyze conservation voltage reduction performance using field test data," Proc. IEEE Intl Conf. on Smart Grid Comm. (SmartGridComm), pp. 535-540, Nov. 3-6, 2014.
- G. B. Giannakis and H. Zhu, "State estimation of electrical power networks using semidefinite relaxation," US Patent 13/862,139, 2013.
- N. Prasad, H. Zhu, and S. Rangarajan, "Precoder Design for Physical Layer Multicasting," US Patent 13/621,293, 2012.