For more information
In Computer Music, I would like students to get an appreciation for computer music and its technology. Since musicians and engineers live in quite different worlds, I would like engineering students to learn what it means to do "serious" interdisciplinary work with sound designers and musicians.
In undergraduate teaching, I feel it is important to nurture ECE student pride in their ability to design and build working devices. It is important for students to have enough time to implement their own ideas; it is good experience for students to learn how to select chips, how to design PCBs, how to design and debug software and dsp algorithms, how to work with the machine shop, etc. Both guided learning in structured courses as well as independent project experience are important for our undergraduates.
Undergraduate Research Opportunities
I encourage undergraduates that would like to do research towards designing and implementing devices to look into ECE395. The primary goal of ECE395 is to build the device; you decide on all hardware components, PCB layout, software programming, motor control or any mechanical aspects you may have, etc. If you develop novel algorithms or techniques you may optionally present your results at the Undergraduate Research Symposium, and optionally show your work at Engineering Open House.
- Music technology for the blind.
- Music notation and representation.
- Real-time computer music systems.
- Analysis, synthesis, and processing of musical sounds.
- Engineering Council Award for Excellence in Advising, 2009.
- List of Teachers Ranked as Excellent by their Students:Fall 1991 ECE110 (new course, initially ECE271)Spring 1992 ECE110Spring 1993 ECE110Fall 1993 ECE110Fall 1994 ECE110Fall 1995 ECE110Spring 2000 ECE402 Electronic Music (was ECE302)Fall 2004 ECE402Fall 2005 ECE395 Advanced Digital Projects LabSpring 2006 ECE395Spring 2007 ECE395, the only ECE faculty with distinction of 'outstanding'Fall 2007 ECE402, the only ECE faculty with distinction of 'outstanding'Fall 2007 ECE395, the only ECE faculty with distinction of 'outstanding'Spring 2008 ECE395Fall 2008 ECE402Fall 2008 ECE395Spring 2009 ECE395Fall 2009 ECE395, the only ECE faculty with distinction of 'outstanding'Spring 2010 ECE395Fall 2010 ECE395Fall 2011 ECE402Fall 2012 ECE395