M. A. Pai
Primary Research Area
- Power and Energy Systems - Dynamics and stability of power systems
- PhD - Electrical Engineering, University of California, Berkeley, 1961
- MS - Electrical Engineering, University of California, Berkeley, 1958
- BE - Electrical Engineering, University of Madras, 1953
- Emeritus Professor 2004-
- Professor - 1983 to 2003
- Professor, Indian Institute of Technology, Kanpur, India - 1969 to 1981
- Assistant Professor, Indian Institute of Technology, Kanpur, India - 1963 to 1966
- Smart grid, Microgrid and Renewable Energy systems.
- Impact of Distributed Generation in Power systems
- Power System computation
- Power System Stability, Dynamic Security of Power Systems , Model Reduction in Power Systems .
- Dynamic reconfiguration of systems for fault tolerance and mitigation
- Dynamics and stability of power systems
- Intelligent devices and controls for electricity grids
- Operation and control of power systems
- Power system computational techniques
Books Authored or Co-Authored (Original Editions)
- R.K Shyamasundar and M.A.Pai "Homi Bhabha and the Computer Revolution" Oxford Univ Press 2011
- M.A.Pai,D.P.Sen Gupta, K.R.Padiyar " Small Signal Analysis of Power Systems" Narosa Publishing House New Delhi India 2004
- M.A.Pai "Power Circuits and Electromechanics" Stipes Publishing Champaign IL 2002
- P. W. Sauer and M. A. Pai," Power System Dynamics and Stability", Prentice Hall, New Jersey, 1997/1998.Stipes Publishing 2006
- M. A. Pai, "Energy Function Analysis for Power System Stability", Kluwer Academic Publishers, Boston, 1989.
- M. A. Pai and Dheeman Chatterjee "Computer Techniques in Power Systems Analysis", Tata McGraw-Hill, (India), J,Third Edition 2014
- M. A. Pai, "Power System Stability - Analysis by Direct Method of Lyapunov, North Holland Publishing Company, Amsterdam, 1981.
Chapters in Books
- Shanshan Liu,P.W.Sauer,D.Chaniotis and M.A.Pai " Coherency and Model Reduction" (ed J.H.Chow Springr series in Power and Energy systems 2013
- Tony.B.Nguyen and M.A.Pai "Sensitivity of Dynamic Stability Indicators in Power Systems"Real Time Stability in Power Systems (ed Savu.C.Savulescu) Springer New York N.Y 2006,2014
- D. Chaniotis and M. A. Pai, "Large Scale Power System Computations: Applications of Iterative Techniques," Applied Computational control, signals and Circuits: Recent Developments (B.N.Datta (ed))Kluwer Academic Publishers, Boston 2001
Selected Articles in Journals
- Y.V.Makarov,Pengwei Du,M.A.Pai,B.McManus "Calculating Individual Resources Variability and their contributions to the overall system balancing needs" IEEE Transactions on Sustainable Energy Vol 5, No.1, Jan 2014,pp 323-331
- PMU-Based Wide-Area Security Assessment: Concept, Method, and Implementation .Yuri V. Makarov, , Pengwei Du, Shuai Lu, Tony B. NguyenXinxin Guo, J. W. Burns, Jim F. Gronquist, and M. A. Pai IEEE TRANSACTIONS ON SMART GRID, VOL. 3, NO. 3, SEPTEMBER 2012
- . Dynamic-Feature Extraction, Attribution, and Reconstruction (DEAR) Method for Reduction. Shaobu Wang, , Shuai Lu, , Ning Zhou, , Guang Lin, Marcelo Elizondo, and M. A. Pai IEEE TRANSACTIONS ON POWER SYSTEMS, VOL. 29, NO. 5, SEPTEMBER 2014
- D.Chaniotis and M.A.Pai " Model Reduction in Power Systems using Krylov Subspace Methods"IEEE transactions in Power Systems Vol 20, Number 2 May 2005 , pp888-894
- S. A. Soman, Tony B. Nguyen, M. A. Pai and Rajani Vaidyanathan, "Analysis of Angle Stability Problems: Transmission Protection systems Perspective," IEEE Transactions on Power Delivery Vol 19, No 3, July 2004,pp 1024-1033
- Tony B. Nguyen and M. A. Pai, "Dynamic security-constrained Rescheduling of Power Systems Using Trajectory sensitivities," IEEE Transactions in Power Systems Vol 18 No 2 May 2003 pp 848-854
- D. Chaniotis and M. A. Pai, "A New Preconditioning Technique for the GMRES Algorithm in Power Flow and P-V Curve calculations," International Journal of Electric Power and Energy Systems, Vol 25, pp.239-245, 2003.
- T. B. Nguyen, M. A. Pai and I. A. Hiskens, "Sensitivity Approaches for direct computation of critical parameters in a power system," International Journal of Electrical Power and Energy Systems, vol. 24 No. 5, pp. 337-343, 2002.
- A. Y. Kulkarni, M. A. Pai and P. W. Sauer, "Iterative solver techniques in fast dynamic calculations of power systems," International Journal of Electric Power and Energy Systems vol. 23 No. 3, pp. 237-244, March 2001.
- V. Donde, M. A. Pai and I. A. Hiskens "Simulation and Optimization in an AGC system after deregulation" IEEE Transactions in Power systems Vol. 16, No. 3, pp. 481-489, August 2001.
- Fellow, Nation Academy of Engineering (India) 1991
- Fellow, IEEE - 1986 Life Fellow 1996
- Fellow, Indian National Science Academy 1979
- Fellow, Institution of Engineers (India) 1977
- Bhatnagar Award for Engineering Research in 1974 in India (Highest award by Government of India)