M. A. Pai
Primary Research Area
- Power and Energy Systems - Dynamics and stability of power systems
PhD - Electrical Engineering, University of California, Berkeley, 1961
- Impact of Distributed Generation in Power systems
- Power System computation
- Power System Stability Dynamic Security of Power Systems Model Reduction in Power Systems Iterative Solver Techniques in Power System Computations Voltage Stability Robust Stability
- Dynamic reconfiguration of systems for fault tolerance and mitigation
- Dynamics and stability of power systems
- Intelligent devices and controls for electricity grids
- Operation and control of power systems
- Power system computational techniques
Books Authored or Co-Authored (Original Editions)
- M.A.Pai "Power Circuits and Electromechanics" Stipes Publishing Champaign IL 2002
- P. W. Sauer and M. A. Pai," Power System Dynamics and Stability", Prentice Hall, New Jersey, 1997/1998.Stipes Publishing 2006
- M. A. Pai, "Energy Function Analysis for Power System Stability", Kluwer Academic Publishers, Boston, 1989.
- M. A. Pai and Dheeman Chatterjee "Computer Techniques in Power Systems Analysis", Tata McGraw-Hill, (India), J,Third Edition 2014
Selected Articles in Journals
- D.Chaniotis and M.A.Pai " Model Reduction in Power Systems using Krylov Subspace Methods"IEEE transactions in Power Systems Vol 20, Number 2 May 2005 , pp888-894
- S. A. Soman, Tony B. Nguyen, M. A. Pai and Rajani Vaidyanathan, "Analysis of Angle Stability Problems: Transmission Protection systems Perspective," IEEE Transactions on Power Delivery Vol 19, No 3, July 2004,pp 1024-1033
- Tony B. Nguyen and M. A. Pai, "Dynamic security-constrained Rescheduling of Power Systems Using Trajectory sensitivities," IEEE Transactions in Power Systems Vol 18 No 2 May 2003 pp 848-854
- D. Chaniotis and M. A. Pai, "A New Preconditioning Technique for the GMRES Algorithm in Power Flow and P-V Curve calculations," International Journal of Electric Power and Energy Systems, Vol 25, pp.239-245, 2003.
- T. B. Nguyen, M. A. Pai and I. A. Hiskens, "Sensitivity Approaches for direct computation of critical parameters in a power system," International Journal of Electrical Power and Energy Systems, vol. 24 No. 5, pp. 337-343, 2002.
- A. Y. Kulkarni, M. A. Pai and P. W. Sauer, "Iterative solver techniques in fast dynamic calculations of power systems," International Journal of Electric Power and Energy Systems vol. 23 No. 3, pp. 237-244, March 2001.
- V. Donde, M. A. Pai and I. A. Hiskens "Simulation and Optimization in an AGC system after deregulation" IEEE Transactions in Power systems Vol. 16, No. 3, pp. 481-489, August 2001.
- Associate, Center for Advanced Study, University of Illinois, Spring 1993
- Fellow, Nation Academy of Engineering (India) 1991
- Fellow, IEEE - 1986 Life Fellow 1996
- Fellow, Indian National Science Academy 1979
- Fellow, Institution of Engineers (India) 1977
- Bhatnagar Award for Engineering Research in 1974 in India (Highest award by Government of India)
S. S. Bhatnagar award in 1974 in India for engineering research (Highest award by Govt. of India)