- Ph.D., Electrical Engineering, University of Minnesota, June 1993
I teach courses in digital and analog integrated circuit design, digital signal processing, probability with engineering applications, VLSI architectures and algorithms for communications and signal processing.
My research investigates efficient integrated circuit (IC) implementations of signal processing and communication systems for current and next generation standards. I seek to innovate at the algorithmic, VLSI architectural and circuit levels in order to minimize power and maximize performance while maintaining reliable operation. I am also developing Shannon-inspired techniques to design robust and energy-efficient ICs in nanometer process technologies. The latter exhibit statistical behavior thereby presenting a formidable challenge to the continuation of Moore's Law.
Undergraduate Research Opportunities
Research opportunities exist for the creative, enthusiastic and hardworking undergraduate in the areas of integrated circuit design, VLSI architectures for DSP and communications, and machine learning implementations.
- energy efficient systems, architectures and integrated circuits for communications, signal processing and machine learning
- 2015 IEEE International Symposium on Circuits and Systems Best Paper Award
- Jack Kilby Professorship, Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering, 2012
- Low-power Design Contest Award, IEEE International Symposium on Low-Power Electronic Design (ISLPED), 2012
- 2010 Richard A. Newton GSRC Industrial Impact Award
- IEEE International Solid-State Circuits Conference's 2008 Outstanding Special-Topic Evening Award
- IEEE Journal of Solid-State Circuits Best Paper Award, 2006
- IEEE Fellow, 2006
- 2006 International Reliability Physics Symposium paper recognized as one of the ‘Jewels of IRPS’.
- IEEE Circuits and Systems Society Transactions on Very Large Scale Integration (VLSI) Systems Best Paper Award, 2001
- Distinguished Lecturer of the IEEE Circuits and Systems Society, 1999-01.
- Xerox Faculty Research Award, 1999.
- IEEE Leon K. Kirchmayer Prize Paper Award, 1999.
- Distinguished Lecturer of the IEEE Circuits and Systems Society, 1997-99.
- National Science Foundation CAREER Award, 1996.
- IEEE Circuits and Systems Society Darlington Prize Paper Award, 1994.
- ECE 313 - Probability with Engrg Applic
- ECE 482 - Digital IC Design
- ECE 483 - Analog IC Design
- ECE 560 - VLSI in DSP & Communication
- ECE 590 - Grad Sem in Special Topics
- ECE 598 - Machine Learning in Silicon
- MATH 362 - Probability with Engrg Applic