Xiuling Li received her Ph.D. degree from the University of California at Los Angeles. She joined the faculty of the University of Illinois in 2007, after working at a startup company, EpiWorks Inc., for six years. She is currently an associate professor in the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering. Her current research interests are in the area of nanostructured semiconductor materials and devices. She has won the NSF CAREER award (2008), DARPA Young Faculty Award (2009), ONR Young Investigator Award (2011), Dean’s award for excellence in research (2012), Andrew T. Yang Research Award (2013), and Willet Faculty Scholar Award (2015). She has published more than 100 referred journal papers and holds more than 10 patents. Her group’s work on the planar nanowires and self-rolled-up membranes has won best paper awards. Her patented work on metal-assisted chemical etching (MacEtch) for high aspect ratio nanostructures (5 awarded and 2 pending patents) has been widely cited and funded by industry. Among her synergistic activities, she is an elected member of the IEEE Photonic Society Board of Governors, lead PI of a NSF RET site grant, associate editors for IEEE Photonics Journal, IEEE Transaction on Nanotechnology, and Scientific Reports, the faculty advisor for IEEE Electron Device Society University of Illinois student chapter, and a Distinguished Lecturer of IEEE Nanotechnology Council (2014-2015).
IEEE, senior member, 2008.
- Willett Faculty Scholar, College of Engineering, UIUC (2015 - )
- IEEE Nanotechnology Council Distinguished Lecturer (2014-2015)
- Board of governors, IEEE Photonics Society (2014-2016)
- A. T. Yang Research Award, ECE, UIUC (2013)
- Dean’s Award for Excellence in Research, College of Engineering, UIUC (2012)
- ONR Young Investigator Research Award (2011)
- DARPA Young Faculty Award (2009)
- NSF CAREER Award (2008)
- Invention of Metal Assisted Chemical Etching (MacEtch) for high aspect ratio semiconductor nanostructure fabrication, with five patents awarded and two more pending.
- Invention of miniaturized passive electronic devices including inductors, transformers, transmission lines, etc. using self-rolled-up microtubes, with one patent awarded and three more pending.
- Invention of planar III-V nanowires by selective lateral epitaxy for scalable high performance nanoelectronic applications, with one patent awarded, best paper award, and cover article in Nano Letters.
Undergraduate Research Opportunities
Research positions available to highly motivated undergraduate students who have strong interests in semiconductor materials, processing, and devices, and firm commitment to research. Past undergraduate student researchers in professor Li's group have produced first-author papers, patents, and conference presentations. Interested students please contact Prof. Li with complete CV.
- self-rolled-up tubes
- metal-assisted chemical etching (MacEtch)
- Metalorganic chemical vapor deposition (MOCVD)
- Lasers and optical physics
- Microcavity lasers and nanophotonics
- Microelectronics and Photonics
- Nano-electronics and single electronics
- Photonic crystals
- Plasma devices and plasma science
- Semiconductor electronic devices
- Semiconductor lasers and photonic devices
- Semiconductor materials
Selected Articles in Journals
- “Assembly of micro/nanomaterials into complex, three-dimensional architectures by compressive buckling,” S. Xu, Z. Yan, K. Jang, W. Huang, H. Fu, J. Kim, Z. Wei, M. Flavin, J. McCracken, R. Wang, A. Badea, H. Liu, D. Xiao, G. Zhou, J. Lee, H. U. Chung, H. Cheng, W. Ren, A. Banks, X. Li, U. Paik, R. G. Nuzzo, Y. Huang, Y. Zhang and J. A. Rogers, Science, 347 (6218), 154-159 (2015).
- “Inverse Metal-Assisted Chemical Etching Produces Smooth High Aspect Ratio InP Nanostructures,” S. H. Kim, P. K. Mohseni, Y. Song, T. Ishihara, and X. Li, Nano Lett. 15 (1), pp 641–648 (2015).
- “High Speed Planar GaAs Nanowire Arrays with fmax > 75 GHz by Wafer-Scale Bottom-up Growth,” X. Miao, K. D. Chabak, C. Zhang, P. K. Mohseni, D. E. Walker Jr., and X. Li, Nano Lett. ASAP (selected as the cover image of May 2015 issue). DOI: 10.1021/nl503596j
- “Site-Controlled Planar GaAs Nanowire Growth: Yield and Mechanism,” C. Zhang, X. Miao, P. K. Mohseni, W. Choi, and X. Li, Nano Lett., 14 (12), pp 6836–6841 (2014).
- “Toward Intelligent Synthetic Neural Circuits: Directing and Accelerating Neuron Cell Growth by Self-Rolled-Up Silicon Nitride Microtube Array,” P. Froeter, Y. Huang, O. V. Cangellaris, M. U. Gillette, J. C. Williams and X. Li, ACS Nano, 8 (11), pp 11108–11117 (2014).
- “Precision structural engineering of self-rolled-up 3D nanomembranes guided by transient quasi-static FEM modeling,” W. Huang, S. Koric, X. Yu, K. J. Hsia, and X. Li, Nano Lett., 14 (11), pp 6293–6297 (2014).
- “Transfer printing of tunable porous silicon microcavities with embedded emitters,” H. Ning, N. A. Krueger, X. Sheng, H. Keum, C. Zhang, K. D. Choquette, X. Li, S. Kim, J. A. Rogers & Paul V. Braun, ACS Photonics, 1 (11), pp 1144–1150 (2014).
- “Device Architectures for Enhanced Photon Recycling in Thin-Film Multijunction Solar Cells,” X. Sheng, M. H. Yun, C. Zhang, A. M. Al-Okaily, M. Masouraki, L. Shen , S. Wang, W. L. Wilson, J. Y. Kim , P. Ferreira, X. Li, E. Yablonovitch, and J. A. Rogers,” Adv. Energy Mater. 1400919 (2014). DOI: 10.1002/aenm.201400919
- “Effect of Diameter Variation on Electrical Characteristics of Schottky Barrier InAs Nanowire MOSFETs,” A. Razavieh, P. K. Mohseni, S. Mehrotra, S. Das, S. Suslov, X. Li, G. Klimeck, D. Janes, and J. Appenzeller, ACS Nano, 8 (6), pp 6281–6287 (2014).
- “Monolithic III-V Nanowire Solar Cells on Graphene via Direct van der Waals Epitaxy," P. K. Mohseni, A. Behnam, J. D. Wood, X. Zhao, K. Yu, N. C. Wang, J. A. Rogers, J. W. Lyding, E. Pop, and X. Li, Adv. Mater. accepted, 2014.
- “III-V Junctionless Gate-All-Around Nanowire MOSFETs for High Linearity Low Power Applications,” Y. Song, C. Zhang, R. Dowdy, K. Chabak, P. K. Mohseni, W. Choi, and X. Li, IEEE Electron Dev. Lett. accepted, available on line, 2014.
- “Photonic crystal membrane reflectors by magnetic field-guided metal-assisted chemical etching,” K. Balasundaram, P. Mohseni, Y.-C. Shuai, D. Zhao, W. Zhou, and X. Li, Appl. Phys. Lett. 103, 214103 (2013).
- “3D hierarchical architectures based on self-rolled-up silicon nitride membranes,” P. Froeter, X. Yu, W. Huang, F. Du, M. Li, I. Chun, S. Kim, K. J. Hsia, J.A. Rogers, and X. Li, Nanotechnology, 24, 475301 (2013).
- “Perturbation of Au-assisted Planar GaAs Nanowire Growth by p-Type Dopant Impurities,” R. Dowdy, C. Zhang, P. K. Mohseni, S. A. Fortuna, J. Wen, J. J. Coleman, and X. Li, Optical Materials Express, Vol. 3, Issue 10, pp. 1687-1697 (2013).
- “DNA Detection using plasmonic enhanced near-infrared photoluminescence of gallium arsenide," L. Tang, I. Chun, Z. Wang, J. Li, X. Li, and Y. Lu, Analytical Chemistry, 85, 9522-7 (2013).
- “III-As pillar array-based light emitting diodes fabricated by metal-assisted chemical etching,” P. K. Mohseni, S. H. Kim, X. Zhao, K. Balasundaram, J. D. Kim, L. Pan, J. A. Rogers, J. J. Coleman, and X. Li, J. Appl. Phys, 114, 064909 (2013).
- "Wafer-Scale Production of Uniform InAsP Nanowire Array on Silicon for Heterogeneous Integration", J. C. Shin, A. Lee, P. K. Mohseni, D. Y. Kim, L. Yu, J. H. Kim, H. J. Kim, W. J. Choi, D. Wasserman, K. J. Choi, and X. Li, ACS Nano, 7, 5463-5471 (2013).
- “Monolithic barrier-all-around planar nanowire high electron mobility transistor with planar GaAs nanowire channel,” X. Miao, C. Zhang, and X. Li, Nano Letters, 13 (6), 2548, (2013).
- “Doubling the power output of bifacial thin-film GaAs solar cells by embedding them in luminescent waveguides,” X. Sheng, L. Shen, T. Kim, L. Li, X. Wang, R. Dowdy, P. Froeter, K. Shigeta, X. Li, R. G. Nuzzo, N. C. Giebink, and J. A. Rogers, Adv. Energy Mater., (2013).
- “Anomalous modulation of a zero bias peak in a hybrid nanowire-superconductor device,” A.D.K. Finck, D.J. Van Harlingen, P.K. Mohseni, K. Jung, and X. Li, Phys. Rev. Lett. 110, 126406 (2013).
- “InxGa1-xAs Nanowire Growth on Graphene: van der Waals Epitaxy Induced Phase Segregation,” P. K. Mohseni, A. Behnam , J. D. Wood , C. English , J. W. Lyding , E. Pop , and X. Li, Nano Lett. ASAP.
- “On-Chip Inductors with Self-rolled-up SiNx Nanomembrane Tubes: a Novel Design for Extreme Miniaturization,” W. Huang, X. Yu, R. Xu, P. Froeter, P. Ferreira, and X. Li, Nano Lett. 12 (12), pp 6283–6288, (2012).
- “Heterogeneous Integration of InGaAs Nanowires on the Rear Surface of Si Solar Cells for Efficiency Enhancement,” J. C. Shin, P. Mohseni, K. J. Yu, S. Tomasulo, K. Montgomery, M. L. Lee, J. A. Rogers, and X. Li, ACS Nano, 6 (12), pp 11074–11079, (2012).
- "Flexible Vertical Light Emitting Diodes," R.-H. Kim, S. Kim, Y.M. Song, H. Jeong, T.-I. Kim, J. Lee, X. Li, K.D. Choquette and J.A. Rogers, Small 8(20), 3123-3128 (2012).
- “Metal Assisted Chemical Etching for High Aspect Ratio Nanostructures: A Review of Characteristics and Applications in Photovoltaics,” X. Li, Current Opinion in Solid State & Materials Science, invited review article, 16, 71-81 (2012).
- “Metal Assisted Chemical Etching for High Aspect Ratio Nanostructures: A Review of Characteristics and Applications in Photovoltaics,” X. Li, Current Opinion in Solid State & Materials Science, invited review article, in press.
- “Strain Induced Self-rolled-up Ring Resonators: a review of geometrical and resonant properties,” X. Li, Advances in Optics and Photonics, invited article, 3 (4), 366-387 (2011).
- “InxGa1-xAs Nanowires on Silicon: One-Dimensional Heterogeneous Epitaxy, Bandgap Engineering, and Photovoltaics,” J. C. Shin, K. H. Kim, K. J. Yu, H. Hu, L. Yin, C. Ning, J. A. Rogers, J. Zuo, and X. Li, Nano Lett., 11, 4831-4838 (2011).
- “Epitaxial growth of three-dimensionally architecture optoelectronic devices,” E. C. Nelson, N. L. Dias, K. P. Bassett, S. N. Dunham, V. Verma, M. Miyake, P. Wiltzius, J. A. Rogers, J. J. Coleman, X. Li, P. V. Braun, Nature Materials, 10, 676-681 (2011).
- "GaAs photovoltaics and optoelectronics using releasable multilayer epitaxial assemblies," J. Yoon, S. Jo, I.S. Chun, I. Jung, H.S. Kim, M. Meitl, E. Menard, X. Li, J.J. Coleman, U. Paik & J.A. Rogers, Nature 465, 329 (2010).
- “Metal-catalyzed semiconductor nanowires: a review on the control of growth direction,” S.A. Fortuna, and X. Li, Semiconductor Science and Technology, 25 (2010) 024005.
- "Printed Assemblies of Inorganic Light-Emitting Diodes for Deformable and Semitransparent Displays," Sang-Il Park,Yujie Xiong,Rak-Hwan Kim,Paulius Elvikis, Matthew Meitl, Dae-Hyeong Kim, Jian Wu, Jongseung Yoon, Chang-Jae Yu, Zhuangjian Liu, Yonggang Huang, Keh-chih Hwang, Placid Ferreira, Xiuling Li, Kent Choquette, John A. Rogers, Science, 325, 977 (2009).
- "GaAs MESFET with a High Mobility Self-Assembled Planar Nanowire Channel," S. A. Fortuna and X. Li, IEEE Electron. Device Letters, 30 (6), 593-595 (2009).
- "Planar GaAs Nanowires on GaAs (100) Substrates: Self-Aligned, Nearly Twin-Defect Free, and Transfer-Printable", S.A. Fortuna, J. Wen, I.S. Chun, and X. Li, Nano Letters, 8(12), 4421-4427 (2008).
- "Strain Induced Semiconductor Nanotubes: from formation process to device applications", Xiuling Li, Journal of Physics D: Applied Phys., invited topical review, 41, 193001 (2008)
- "In-plane Bandgap Control in Porous GaN through Electroless Wet Chemical Etching," X. Li, Y.-W. Kim, P. W. Bohn, and I. Adesida, Appl. Phys. Lett., 80, 980-982 (2002).
- “Metal-assisted chemical etching in HF/H2O2 produces porous silicon”, X. Li and P.W. Bohn, Appl. Phys. Lett.77, 2572 (2000).
- Method of forming an array of high aspect ratio semiconductor nanostructures (US US 8,980,656, awarded 03/17/2015)
- Metal-assisted chemical etching (MacEtch) to produce III-V semiconductor nanostructures (US patent serial number 8,951,430, awarded 02/10/2015)
- Rolled-up transformer structure for a radio frequency integrated circuit (RFIC) (US 8,941,460, awarded 01/27/2015)
- Magnetic field-guided MacEtch for 3D metamaterials (US patent serial number 61/904,899, pending)
- Rolled-up transmission line structure for a radio frequency integrated circuit (RFIC) (US patent serial number 10322-235, allowed, to be issued)
- Rolled-up inductor structure for a radio frequency integrated circuit (RFIC) (US patent serial number 10322-233, pending)
- Design of 3D Stacked of Nanowire MOSFET’s for Ultrahigh RF Linearity and Low Power Applications (US patent serial number 61/648,246, pending)
- Method of Forming a Metal Pattern on a Semiconducting Substrate for Metal-Assisted Chemical Etching (US patent serial number 61/606,790, pending)
- Method of controlled growth and release of self-aligned planar semiconductor nanowires (US patent No. 61/048,207, pending)
- Method of forming Nanoscale Three Dimensional Patterns in a Porous Material (US8586843, 07/16/2013)
- Metal-assisted chemical etching to produce porous group III-V materials (US6762134, 07/13/2004)
- Metal-assisted chemical etching porous silicon formation method (US6790785, 09/14/2004)
Associate Editor of IEEE Photonics Journal
- International conference on nanowires (ICON), Regional program chair for America (2015)
- IEEE Photonics Society, Board of Governors (2014-2016)
- IEEE Photonics Journal, Associate Editor (2012 - present)
- Faculty advisor to IEEE EDS student chapter (2010-present )
- IEEE, senior member, 2008
- Willett Faculty Scholar, COE, UIUC (2015)
- Distinguished Lecturer, IEEE Nanotechnology Council (2014-2015)
- Board of governors, IEEE Photonics Society (2014)
- A. T. Yang Research Award (2013)
- Plenary Lecture, International Conference on Nano Science and Nano Technology, Korea (2012)
- Dean's award for excellence in research (2012)
- ONR Young Investigator Research award (2011)
- Fellow, Center for Advanced Study, UIUC (2010)
- DARPA Young Faculty Award (2009)
- National Science Foundation CAREER Award (2008)