Primary Research Area
For more information
IEEE, senior member, 2008.
- Innovation on 3D passive electronics using self-rolled-up microtubes
- Discovery of self-aligned planar semiconductor nanowire growth
- Invention of metal-assisted chemical etching
- A. T. Yang Research Award, ECE, UIUC (2013)
- Dean’s Award for Excellence in Research, College of Engineering, UIUC (2012)
- ONR Young Investigator Research Award (2011-2014): Massively Parallel Planar III-V Nanowires and Rolled-up Tubes: Novel Platforms for High Linearity Electronics and Integrated Photonic Circuits
- DARPA Young Faculty Award (2009-2011): III-V nanowire FinFET on silicon: a bottom-up CMOS compatible approach
- NSF CAREER Award (2008-2013): Semiconductor nanotubes - new nanotechnology building blocks and functionalities
Undergraduate Research Opportunities
Research positions available to highly motivated undergraduate students who have strong interests in semiconductor materials, processing, and devices, and firm commitment to research. Past undergraduate student researchers in professor Li's group have produced first-author papers, patents, and conference presentations. Interested students please contact Prof. Li with complete CV.
- self-rolled-up tubes
- metal-assisted chemical etching (MacEtch)
- Metalorganic chemical vapor deposition (MOCVD)
- Lasers and optical physics
- Microcavity lasers and nanophotonics
- Microelectronics and Photonics
- Nano-electronics and single electronics
- Photonic crystals
- Plasma devices and plasma science
- Semiconductor electronic devices
- Semiconductor lasers and photonic devices
- Semiconductor materials
Selected Articles in Journals
- “Monolithic III-V Nanowire Solar Cells on Graphene via Direct van der Waals Epitaxy," P. K. Mohseni, A. Behnam, J. D. Wood, X. Zhao, K. Yu, N. C. Wang, J. A. Rogers, J. W. Lyding, E. Pop, and X. Li, Adv. Mater. accepted, 2014.
- “III-V Junctionless Gate-All-Around Nanowire MOSFETs for High Linearity Low Power Applications,” Y. Song, C. Zhang, R. Dowdy, K. Chabak, P. K. Mohseni, W. Choi, and X. Li, IEEE Electron Dev. Lett. accepted, available on line, 2014.
- “Planar GaAs Nanowire Tri-Gate MOSFETs by Vapor-Liquid-Solid Growth Solid State Electronics,” C. Zhang and X. Li, Solid State Electronics, 93, 40-42 (2014).
- “Fabrication of Arbitrarily-Shaped Silicon and Silicon Oxide Nanostructures Using Tip-based Nanofabrication,” H. Hu, P. K. Mohseni, L. Pan, X. Li, S. Somnath, J. Felts, M. A Shannon, and W. P. King, J. Vac. Sci. Tech. B, 31(6), 06FJ01 (2013).
- “Photonic crystal membrane reflectors by magnetic field-guided metal-assisted chemical etching,” K. Balasundaram, P. Mohseni, Y.-C. Shuai, D. Zhao, W. Zhou, and X. Li, Appl. Phys. Lett. 103, 214103 (2013).
- “3D hierarchical architectures based on self-rolled-up silicon nitride membranes,” P. Froeter, X. Yu, W. Huang, F. Du, M. Li, I. Chun, S. Kim, K. J. Hsia, J.A. Rogers, and X. Li, Nanotechnology, 24, 475301 (2013).
- “Perturbation of Au-assisted Planar GaAs Nanowire Growth by p-Type Dopant Impurities,” R. Dowdy, C. Zhang, P. K. Mohseni, S. A. Fortuna, J. Wen, J. J. Coleman, and X. Li, Optical Materials Express, Vol. 3, Issue 10, pp. 1687-1697 (2013).
- “DNA Detection using plasmonic enhanced near-infrared photoluminescence of gallium arsenide," L. Tang, I. Chun, Z. Wang, J. Li, X. Li, and Y. Lu, Analytical Chemistry, 85, 9522-7 (2013).
- “III-As pillar array-based light emitting diodes fabricated by metal-assisted chemical etching,” P. K. Mohseni, S. H. Kim, X. Zhao, K. Balasundaram, J. D. Kim, L. Pan, J. A. Rogers, J. J. Coleman, and X. Li, J. Appl. Phys, 114, 064909 (2013).
- "Wafer-Scale Production of Uniform InAsP Nanowire Array on Silicon for Heterogeneous Integration", J. C. Shin, A. Lee, P. K. Mohseni, D. Y. Kim, L. Yu, J. H. Kim, H. J. Kim, W. J. Choi, D. Wasserman, K. J. Choi, and X. Li, ACS Nano, 7, 5463-5471 (2013).
- “Carbon-doped GaAs single junction solar microcells grown in multilayer epitaxial assemblies,” D. Kang, S. Arab, S. B. Cronin, X. Li, J. A. Rogers, and J. Yoon, Appl. Phys. Lett. 102, 253902 (2013).
- “Monolithic barrier-all-around planar nanowire high electron mobility transistor with planar GaAs nanowire channel,” X. Miao, C. Zhang, and X. Li, Nano Letters, 13 (6), 2548, (2013).
- “Silicon nanowires with controlled sidewall profile and roughness fabricated by thin-film dewetting and metal-assisted chemical etching,“ B. Azeredo, J. Sadhu, J. Ma, K. Jacobs, J. Kim, K. Lee and J. Eraker, X. Li, S. Sinha, N. Fang, P. Ferreira, and K. Hsu, Nanotechnology, 24, 225305, (2013).
- “A Distributive-Transconductance Model for Border Traps in III-V/High-k MOS Capacitors,” C. Zhang, M. Xu, P. D. Ye, and X. Li, IEEE Electron. Dev. Letts. in press (2013).
- “Doubling the power output of bifacial thin-film GaAs solar cells by embedding them in luminescent waveguides,” X. Sheng, L. Shen, T. Kim, L. Li, X. Wang, R. Dowdy, P. Froeter, K. Shigeta, X. Li, R. G. Nuzzo, N. C. Giebink, and J. A. Rogers, Adv. Energy Mater., (2013).
- “Anomalous modulation of a zero bias peak in a hybrid nanowire-superconductor device,” A.D.K. Finck, D.J. Van Harlingen, P.K. Mohseni, K. Jung, and X. Li, Phys. Rev. Lett. 110, 126406 (2013).
- “InxGa1-xAs Nanowire Growth on Graphene: van der Waals Epitaxy Induced Phase Segregation,” P. K. Mohseni, A. Behnam , J. D. Wood , C. English , J. W. Lyding , E. Pop , and X. Li, Nano Lett. ASAP.
- “Relationship between Planar GaAs Nanowire Growth Direction and Substrate Orientation,” R. Dowdy, D. Walko, and X. Li, Nanotechnology, accepted, (2013).
- “Thermal Conductivity of Silicon Nanowire Arrays with Controlled Roughness,” Jyothi Swaroop Sadhu , Bruno P Azeredo , Keng Hsu , Jun Ma , Junhwan Kim , Myunghoon Seong , Nicholas X. Fang , Xiuling Li , Placid Ferreira , Sanjiv Sinha , David G. Cahill, J. Appl. Phys. 112, 114306 (2012).
- “On-Chip Inductors with Self-rolled-up SiNx Nanomembrane Tubes: a Novel Design for Extreme Miniaturization,” W. Huang, X. Yu, R. Xu, P. Froeter, P. Ferreira, and X. Li, Nano Lett. 12 (12), pp 6283–6288, (2012).
- “Heterogeneous Integration of InGaAs Nanowires on the Rear Surface of Si Solar Cells for Efficiency Enhancement,” J. C. Shin, P. Mohseni, K. J. Yu, S. Tomasulo, K. Montgomery, M. L. Lee, J. A. Rogers, and X. Li, ACS Nano, 6 (12), pp 11074–11079, (2012).
- "Flexible Vertical Light Emitting Diodes," R.-H. Kim, S. Kim, Y.M. Song, H. Jeong, T.-I. Kim, J. Lee, X. Li, K.D. Choquette and J.A. Rogers, Small 8(20), 3123-3128 (2012).
- “Vertically stacked individually tunable nanowire field effect transistors for low power operation with ultrahigh radio frequency linearity,” Y. Song, J. Luo, and X. Li, Appl. Phys. Lett. 101, 093509 (2012).
- “Sub-100 nm Si nanowire and nano-sheet array formation by MacEtch using a non-lithographic InAs Nanowire Mask,” J. C. Shin, C. Zhang and X. Li, Nanotechnology, 23, 305305 (2012).
- “Porosity control in metal assisted chemical etching of degenerately doped silicon,” K. Balasundaram, J. S. Sadhu, J. C. Shin, B. Azeredo, D. Chanda, M. Malik, K. Hsu, J. A. Rogers, Placid Ferreira, Sanjiv Sinha, and X. Li, Nanotechnology, 23, 305304 (2012).
- “Characteristics of Strain-Induced InxGa1-xAs Nanowires Grown on Si (111) Substrates Crystal Growth & Design,” J. C. Shin, K. J. Choi, D. Y. Kim, W. J. Choi, X. Li, Crystal Growth and Design, 12, 2994-2998 (2012).
- “Metal Assisted Chemical Etching for High Aspect Ratio Nanostructures: A Review of Characteristics and Applications in Photovoltaics,” X. Li, Current Opinion in Solid State & Materials Science, invited review article, 16, 71-81 (2012).
- “Two-Dimensional Nanomembranes: Can They Outperform Lower Dimensional Nanocrystals?” B. Nikoobakht and X. Li, ACS Nano, 6 (3), 1883–1887, (2012).
- "Realization of Unidirectional Planar GaAs Nanowires on (110) Substrates", R. Dowdy, D. Walko, S. A. Fortuna, and X. Li, IEEE Electron Device Letters, 33, 522-524 (2012).
- “Experimental Study of Design Parameters in Periodic Silicon Micropillar Array Solar Cells Produced by Soft Lithography and Metal Assisted Chemical Etching,” J.C. Shin, D. Chanda, W. Chern, K.J. Yu, J.A. Rogers, and X. Li, IEEE J. Photovoltaics, 2, 129-133 (2012).
- “Metal Assisted Chemical Etching for High Aspect Ratio Nanostructures: A Review of Characteristics and Applications in Photovoltaics,” X. Li, Current Opinion in Solid State & Materials Science, invited review article, in press.
- “Strain Induced Self-rolled-up Ring Resonators: a review of geometrical and resonant properties,” X. Li, Advances in Optics and Photonics, invited article, 3 (4), 366-387 (2011).
- “Formation of High Aspect Ratio GaAs Nanostructures with Metal Assisted Chemical Etching,” M. T. DeJarld, J. C. Shin, W. Chern, D. Chanda, K. Balasundaram, J. A. Rogers, and X. Li, Nano Lett., 11, 5259-5263 (2011).
- “InxGa1-xAs Nanowires on Silicon: One-Dimensional Heterogeneous Epitaxy, Bandgap Engineering, and Photovoltaics,” J. C. Shin, K. H. Kim, K. J. Yu, H. Hu, L. Yin, C. Ning, J. A. Rogers, J. Zuo, and X. Li, Nano Lett., 11, 4831-4838 (2011).
- "Scalable Monolithically Grown AlGaAs-GaAs Planar Nanowire High Electron Mobility Transistor,” X. Miao and X. Li, IEEE Electron. Dev. Lett., 32, 1227-1229 (2011).
- “Epitaxial growth of three-dimensionally architecture optoelectronic devices,” E. C. Nelson, N. L. Dias, K. P. Bassett, S. N. Dunham, V. Verma, M. Miyake, P. Wiltzius, J. A. Rogers, J. J. Coleman, X. Li, P. V. Braun, Nature Materials, 10, 676-681 (2011).
- "Experimental verification of reduced intersubband scattering in ordered nanopore lattices," N. L. Dias, A. Garg, U. Reddy, J. D. Young, K. P. Bassett, X. Li, and J. J. Coleman, Applied Physics Letters, vol. 98. 071109 (2011).
- "Patterned quantum dot molecule laser fabricated by electron beam lithography and wet chemical etching," V.B. Verma, U. Reddy, N.L. Dias, K.P. Bassett, X. Li, and J.J. Coleman, IEEE Journal of Quantum Electronics, v46 n12, 1827-1833 (2010).
- “Direct Heterointegration of III-V Materials on Group IV Substrates", David Ahmari, Brian McDermott, Shawn Thomas, Bradley Roof, Quesnell Hartmann, and Xiuling Li, ECS Transactions, 33 (6), 849 – 857 (2010).
- “Geometry effect on the strain induced self-rolling of semiconductor membranes”, Ik Su Chun, Archana Challa, Brad Derickson, Jimmy Hsia, and X. Li, Nano Lett. 10, 3927-3932 (2010).
- “Tuning the Photoluminescence Characteristics with Curvature for GaAs Quantum Well Microtubes,” I. Chun, K. Bassett, A. Challa, and X. Li, Applied Physics Letters, 96, 251106 (2010).
- “Light Emission Characteristics and Mechanics of Foldable Inorganic Light-Emitting Diodes,” Sang-Il Park, An-Phong Le, Jian Wu, Yonggang Huang, Xiuling Li, and John A. Rogers, Advanced Mater. 22, 2062 (2010).
- "Nonlithographic Patterning and Metal-Assisted Chemical Etching for Manufacturing of Tunable Light-Emitting Silicon Nanowire Arrays," W. Chern, K. Hsu, I.S. Chun, B.P. de Azeredo, N. Ahmed, K.H. Kim, J. Zuo, N. Fang, P. Ferreira, and X. Li, Nano Letters 10, 1582 (2010).
- "GaAs photovoltaics and optoelectronics using releasable multilayer epitaxial assemblies," J. Yoon, S. Jo, I.S. Chun, I. Jung, H.S. Kim, M. Meitl, E. Menard, X. Li, J.J. Coleman, U. Paik & J.A. Rogers, Nature 465, 329 (2010).
- “Topography and refractometry of nanostructures using spatial light interference microscopy (SLIM)”, Zhuo Wang, Ik Su Chun, Xiuling Li, Zhun-Yong Ong, Eric Pop, Larry Millet, Martha Gillette, and Gabriel Popescu, Opt. Lett. 35 (2), 208 (2010).
- “Metal-catalyzed semiconductor nanowires: a review on the control of growth direction,” S.A. Fortuna, and X. Li, Semiconductor Science and Technology, 25 (2010) 024005.
- "Printed Assemblies of Inorganic Light-Emitting Diodes for Deformable and Semitransparent Displays," Sang-Il Park,Yujie Xiong,Rak-Hwan Kim,Paulius Elvikis, Matthew Meitl, Dae-Hyeong Kim, Jian Wu, Jongseung Yoon, Chang-Jae Yu, Zhuangjian Liu, Yonggang Huang, Keh-chih Hwang, Placid Ferreira, Xiuling Li, Kent Choquette, John A. Rogers, Science, 325, 977 (2009).
- "GaAs MESFET with a High Mobility Self-Assembled Planar Nanowire Channel," S. A. Fortuna and X. Li, IEEE Electron. Device Letters, 30 (6), 593-595 (2009).
- "Planar GaAs Nanowires on GaAs (100) Substrates: Self-Aligned, Nearly Twin-Defect Free, and Transfer-Printable", S.A. Fortuna, J. Wen, I.S. Chun, and X. Li, Nano Letters, 8(12), 4421-4427 (2008).
- "Strain Induced Semiconductor Nanotubes: from formation process to device applications", Xiuling Li, Journal of Physics D: Applied Phys., invited topical review, 41, 193001 (2008)
- "Nanoscale three dimensional pattern formation in light emitting porous silicon", Ik Su Chun,Edmond Chow, and Xiuling Li, Applied Physics Letters, 92, 191113 (2008).
- "Controlled Assembly and Dispersion of Strain Induced InGaAs-GaAs Nanotubes," Ik Su Chun and Xiuling Li, IEEE Transaction on Nanotechnology, 7, 493 (2008).
- "InGaAs/GaAs 3D Architecture Formation by Strain Induced Self-Rolling with Lithographically Defined Rectangular Stripe Arrays," I.S. Chun, V.B. Verma, V.C. Elarde, S.W. Kim, J.M. Zuo, J.J. Coleman, and X. Li, J. of Crystal Growth, 310, 2353 (2008).
- “Fabrication and Characterization of InGaP/GaAs Heterojunction Bipolar Transistors on Germanium on Insulator (GOI) Substrates,” S. G. Thomas, E. S. Johnson, C. Tracy, P. Maniar, X. Li, B. Roof, Q. Hartmann and D. A. Ahmari, Electron Device Lett., 26, 438 , 2005.
- "In-plane Bandgap Control in Porous GaN through Electroless Wet Chemical Etching," X. Li, Y.-W. Kim, P. W. Bohn, and I. Adesida, Appl. Phys. Lett., 80, 980-982 (2002).
- "Catalytic Amplification of the Soft Lithographic Patterning of Si. Nonelectrochemical Orthogonal Fabrication of Photoluminescent Porous Si Pixel Arrays," Y. Harada, X. Li, P.W. Bohn, and R.G. Nuzzo, J. Am. Chem. Soc. 123, 8709-8717 (2001).
- “Metal-assisted chemical etching in HF/H2O2 produces porous silicon”, X. Li and P.W. Bohn, Appl. Phys. Lett.77, 2572 (2000).
- Magnetic field-guided MacEtch for 3D metamaterials (US patent serial number 61/904,899, pending)
- Rolled-up transmission line structure for a radio frequency integrated circuit (RFIC) (US patent serial number 10322-235, pending)
- Rolled-up transformer structure for a radio frequency integrated circuit (RFIC) (US patent serial number 10322-234, pending)
- Rolled-up inductor structure for a radio frequency integrated circuit (RFIC) (US patent serial number 10322-233, pending)
- Design of 3D Stacked of Nanowire MOSFET’s for Ultrahigh RF Linearity and Low Power Applications (US patent serial number 61/648,246, pending)
- Metal-assisted chemical etching (MacEtch) to produce III-V semiconductor nanostructures (US patent serial number 61/625,905, pending)
- Method of Forming a Metal Pattern on a Semiconducting Substrate for Metal-Assisted Chemical Etching (US patent serial number 61/606,790, pending)
- Method of controlled growth and release of self-aligned planar semiconductor nanowires (US patent No. 61/048,207, pending)
- Method of forming an array of high aspect ratio semiconductor nanostructures (US Appl. Serial No. 61/253,700, pending)
- Method of forming Nanoscale Three Dimensional Patterns in a Porous Material (US8586843, 07/16/2013)
- Metal-assisted chemical etching to produce porous group III-V materials (US6762134, 07/13/2004)
- Metal-assisted chemical etching porous silicon formation method (US6790785, 09/14/2004)
- “Coaxial nanowires from van der Waals epitaxy,” Xiuling Li and Parsian Mohseni, SPIE newsroom, September 23, 2013.
- “MacEtch: anisotropic metal assisted chemical etching defies the textbook”, Xiuling Li, SPIE Newsroom, 10 April 2012.
Associate Editor of IEEE Photonics Journal
- International conference on nanowires (ICON), Regional program chair for America (2015)
- IEEE Photonics Society, Board of Governors (2014-2017)
- IEEE Photonics Journal, Associate Editor (2012 - present)
- Faculty advisor to IEEE EDS student chapter (2010-present )
- IEEE, senior member, 2008
- A. T. Yang Research Award (2013)
- Dean's award for excellence in research (2012)
- ONR Young Investigator Research award (2011)
- DARPA Young Faculty Award (2009)
- National Science Foundation CAREER Award (2008)