Eta Kappa Nu Outstanding Junior Award
Established in 1904
Eta Kappa Nu
Eta Kappa Nu Alpha Chapter was established in 1904 by Mr. Maurice L. Carr, the founder of Eta Kappa Nu. HKN is the International Honor Society for Electrical Engineers. There are over 200 chapters today and still growing. Outstanding persons are elected to Eta Kappa Nu primarily from the junior and senior classes of accredited undergraduate programs. Graduate Students and distinguished professional engineers are also eligible. Eligibility, naturally, must depend on marked ability, as evidenced by scholarship, personal character, useful voluntary services, and distinguished accomplishments, all of which indicate that the candidate will be or is a success in his profession.
While one of its purposes certainly is the stimulation and reward of scholarship, Eta Kappa Nu has a far broader purpose than merely to award a badge of distinction to scholars. As conceived by its founders and as carried forward by its membership during more than two generations, another aim is to assist its members throughout their lives in becoming better professionals as well as better citizens. In turn, it is still another purpose of the organization, that its members be a constructive force, helping fellow members and non-members alike to improve the standards of the profession, the courses of instruction, and the institutions generally where its chapters are established.
DESCRIPTION:The Outstanding Junior competition is conducted each academic year by the Alpha Chapter of Eta Kappa Nu to honor one member of the junior class in electrical and computer engineering.
- You must be a student at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, enrolled in the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering.
- Must be a Junior in ECE.
- Must have maintained a high scholastic average
- Must have distinguished himself or herself as a leader in college or professional activities.
- Must be able to perform in social as well as in work situations in a manner that favorably reflects the institution he or she represents. This requires personality, hard work, and the ability to apply one's knowledge and experience.
APPLICATION PROCESS:Qualified applicants may fill out a questionnaire available in the HKN office or may be nominated by faculty during Spring semester.
- Review of academic grades
- Faculty nominations
- Preliminary selection by a student committee (which does not include any eligible juniors)
- Final selection by a student-faculty committee
The chosen Outstanding Junior is honored with a plaque at the semi-annual Eta Kappa Nu Initiation Banquet.
PAST RECIPIENTS OF THE AWARD:
|2007||Daniel Joe||1992||Andrew D. Skale|
|2006||Wilson Yum||1991||Bryan D. Robb|
|2005||Nikhil Pandit||1990||G. Matthew Murphy|
|2004||Ting Feng Toh||1989||Steven A. Boppart|
|2003||Jeffrey Chieh||1988||Karim H. Tadros|
|2002||Akshay Naheta||1987||Ken E. Kubiak|