Social Sciences, Humanities, and GenEd Requirements:
18 Hrs of Social Sciences and Humanities:
All ECE students need to take 18 hrs of Social Sciences and Humanities courses distributed as:
- 6 hours of Social and Behavioral Science electives (called Campus SS)
- 6 hours of Humanities and the Arts electives (called Campus Humanities)
- 6 more hours of electives (called Liberal Arts Electives):
These 18 hours can also be used to satisfy the additional Campus GenEd Requirements described next (see Helpful Hints below).
Additional GenEd Requirements:
- 1 Advanced Composition course (MUST be an Illinois course)
- Cultural Studies:
- Three years of a single foreign language studied in high school will meet this requirement.
- Alternatively, you need to take a third-semester level foreign language course in college.
- College language courses may be counted for Liberal Arts Electives.
- Go to 206 Engr. Hall to have your language credit verified.
GenEd courses (including Campus SS and Humanities) MUST be taken for a letter grade.
- Make your electives count twice (or even three times!) Example: History 140 counts as Campus Humanities, other SSH, Western Culture, and Advanced Composition --- see example checklists.
- If you think you should have GenEd credit and don't, see the Deans in 206 Engineering Hall.
- Many Illinois community colleges have courses that will satisfy Campus GenEd credit. See the web site: https://www.transfer.org/uselect/.
The remaining elements of Campus GenEd Requirements are fulfilled in ECE as follows:
- Composition I: Rhet 105 (alternatively Rhet 101+2; 103+4; 108; SpCom111+112; ESL 114+115) --- this is a required course in the freshman year.
- Natural Sciences and Technology and Quantitative Reasoning: Your required technical courses meet these requirements many times over.